Thursday, February 09, 2006

Have Faith Will Complete Last 8th Position in 10,000 Musical Chairs

Our school, ACS (Anglo Chinese School, Independent) decided to hold a 10,000 Musical Chairs Fund Raising Event. It was an innovative idea by one of our teachers, Mr. Ng Eng Chin. It was the first of its kind in Singapore. This event was also mentioned in the Guiness World Record.

My friend, Carrie, as usual also participated and coerced me to join her too. I had a phobia for sports/games that involve a group of people no matter how big or small. Ever since I hurt my last finger in a netball game in Primary Six, I had avoided all types of sports like basketball, hockey, etc. I decided to join just to please Carrie. I also told her that I would meet her at the school gate within an hour's time because I would surely be knocked off after the first few rounds.

As we were dashing for the chairs, I saw the little school children, enjoying themselves and suddenly realised my phobia was quite silly after all. I was so much bigger than these kids yet I was so afraid of being injured!
I prayed that God would remove my fear. After each successful round of getting a chair, I became more and more excited. It was fun after all. We played continuously for two and a half hours as the crowd dwindled from about 10,000 to a few hundred. Carrie looked for me everywhere but could not find me. Then she suddenly realised I was still playing musical chairs with the then less than 100 participants. As the number reduced, it became more tough and challenging to fight for a chair. Soon there were 18 chairs left. I thought it would be the end of the game for me when I spotted an empty chair at the end. I plonked myself on the coveted chair, with one guy missing just by a second.! This was captured on video and my students were so happy as they saw me dashing for the chair. "That was fast, Madam!" I finished eighth position and won a special prize that was each given to all remaining 40 surivivors out of 10,000! The weather was very hot and humid and I was almost dehydrated after almost 3 hours, but happy that I had finally overcome my phobia!

Have faith will complete last 8th position in the 10,000 Musical Chairs.

No comments: