Friday, February 17, 2006

Glimpses of Campus Life (2)

It was the first day of our prose writing class at the University of Alberta. In walked Dr. Woolsworth, an elderly, plumpish lady with a ready smile.

"Ladies and gentlemen! The first snow has just fallen! Right, get your pens ready and write on the topic "Snow" for the next twenty minutes," smiled Dr. Woolsworth.

After twenty minutes of writing furiously, all the 18 students in the class had to exchange their writing. I happened to exchange mine with one foreign student from Nigeria. His name was Ilori. As he was marking my article, he frowned at me, looking dismayed. I was marking one Canadian student's article and learnt from him that the Eskimos have about twenty words to describe the word "snow".

We had to read out the written work we had just edited. Ilori read mine to the class. I had written everything positive about snow, for I just love snow... it is so white, pure and pretty. The snow on the roof top of houses looks like icing on cakes! There are so many fun things that I can do with snow....downhill ski, cross country ski, skidoo, etc.I thought the frost on the trees in the morning looked so beautiful and made me feel as if I were in some heavenly place! The winter landscape is so innately breath-taking!

When Ilori's article was read, the class laughed because Ilori had the extreme opposite of my views. He disliked the white powdery stuff that created so much inconvenience to traffic and pedestrians, etc. Dr. Woolsworth pointed out that it was interesting both Ilori and I were the only students from the tropics.... yet we had such contrasting views on snow! The winter in Edmonton could be as cold as minus 30 to 40 degree celcius.! I would not blame Ilori if he disliked winter and snow.

The following Sunday some friends brought me to church. I was surprised to find Ilori attending the same Baptist church! Have you experienced how the more you want to avoid someone, the more you bump into him? Despite our contrasting views on snow, Ilori and I gradually became good friends. Beneath his serious countenance, he was actually a very compassionate and humorous biochemist!

It was a pity that Ilori passed away about 5 years after he graduated. He was killed in a road accident while on his way to work in Nigeria. He was only 33 years of age. I am glad that Ilori had lived a rich and meaningful life in Canada as well as in Africa.

Gan Chau

No comments: