Saturday, February 04, 2006

What a Lovely Transformation!


Dear Ms Kam

I am very glad to run into you this evening. Being your student has given me a great foundation in English and I remember your stories vividly. It has been a long time and I have grown quite a bit, haven't I? ;-P

There is much to learn about the spoken and written form of the English language still. I often fear that I 'speak funny' for a Singaporean who is born and bred here. I would like to think that I have a 'sing-song' way of speaking. A little more animated and lively than most Singaporeans. Hence, the perceived 'un-Singaporeaness' or accent. In any case, I hope to truly develop my own way of speaking plainly and accurately for all to understand me.

The last fifteen years have been challenging in many ways. My parents' bankruptcy was a big blow, and I lost my directions for a few years. I joined the workforce at the tender age of seventeen. I was a junior office administrator, a flight attendant with United Airlines, a Personal Assistant to a Director and HR Executive in large multi-nationals etc. There were many bad days and I despaired and blamed all the Gods in the world for the obstacles in my life. I remember walking forty minutes to save a few cents. Thank God that there were also showers of wonderful moments of joy in the miraculous opportunities and blessings that would come in the nick of time to console me and encourage me onward in my life journey.

I worked and studied for over 5 years to get a diploma in Mass Communications, a Bachelor's Degree in Business Administration and a Graduate Diploma in HR. Thinking back now, I do not know how I made it. I think God was truly carrying me when I needed Him most.

After almost eight years in Human Resources, I became a headhunter over a year ago. I focus on mid to senior level roles in all functions within the IT and banking industries.

My corgi, Sydney, is just over five years old. She is a real darling and is very dear to me. She is not well-versed in performing stunts and little tricks but we have a genuine connection and she shares my pillow with me at night.

Here's a photo of us taken recently for your collection. Thank you for the address to your blog, I will be checking it out real soon.

In the meantime, here's your River Valley High School student Huang Huiling signing off. May you be blessed with good health, friendship, love and success in your ventures in the year of the dog.

Best wishes
Sharon

The above is an email I received yesterday from an ex-student. I stopped teaching in 1994 due to constantly losing my voice. I miss my students and often wonder how they are faring after graduation. Hence I would always be so thrilled when a
young man/lady comes up to me and asked, "Are you the Ms. Kam who taught me English in Secondary school?" When I taught English in school, I had often reminded the kids that it is not English for O level exams only, it is English for life. Language is such an important tool for expression and helps in healthy and effective communication. It is also an important tool for problem solving because as a man thinks, so is he.

It is heartening to know that some of my ex-students like Hui Ling have managed to overcome life's adversities and achieved not only success but the realisation that despite their sufferings and hardship, they are precious to the One who has created them and has the best plans for them, and that through their toils, they actually emerge stronger and more victorious. It is like you have survived a tsunami; the next torrential storm would appear like little showers of rain!

I hope Hui Ling's email will be an encouragement to you. I hope that my ex-students could drop me an email to share how they are doing. If possible, I would encourage them to start a blog.... to continue their creative writing which they had once excelled in.

As someone has so rightly said, "A teacher touches eternity. He does not know where his influence stops". Teaching is and will always be my first love.

Gan Chau

No comments: