Sunday, February 12, 2006

Have Faith Will Blind the Eyes of Passers By

I had just collected some rental from my tenants who occupied the other two rooms in the apartment. I was rushing to ACS where I was teaching in the afternoon session. On the way I decided to drop by to pay my telphone and water bills. When it came to my turn, I realised I had queued up in the wrong place, the POSB Savings Bank, when it should have been the General Post Office which was just next to the Bank. I rushed to the Post Office and had to queue up again. When I needed to pay the cash, I realised that the stack of $50/- notes was no longer in my pocket! Gosh, the $800/- I had collected and which I had put in my pocket had vanished! I told the officer I had to go off but would be back later.

I thought I would go back to my car to check if I had dropped my money while coming out of the driver's seat. Holland Village is a very busy shopping area, and I prayed that passers by would be "blinded and not see the stack of $50/- if I had dropped it along the way. Some 40 minutes must have elapsed with all the waiting at the post offices.!

When I went to my car, I could not find the money at all. I was begining to feel disheartened when I suddenly saw a stack of money just in front of my car in the opposite lot! A lady had just passed by and she did not see the money! One man was waiting in his car parked next to my lot. He too had not seen the cash! I picked up the money with a grateful heart. All $800/- was intact! I rushed back to the post offices to pay the bills and when I came back to the car, I found that the empty lot now had a car. If the car had come in earlier I would not have found my money!

As I was driving to school, I felt as if I were forty feet in the air! I shared with my students about the lost and found money. Suddenly, one of my students raised his hand and said, "Not fair, Madam, you can pick up people's money; but people cannot pick up your money!"

Indeed, have faith will "blind" the eyes of passers by! If only you believe!

Gan Chau

No comments: