Thursday, March 09, 2006

The Day the Gas "Popped" on Me ....

As my friends and co-broking agents are coming for lunch and dinner today, I decided to cook my ahem! popular Penang Friend Koay Teow and Nonya Curry Chicken. Individual plates of Koay Teow can be fried when my guests are here... every plate is made to order with individual preference of more chilli, less garlic, more prawns, etc. However, curry chicken, like beef bolognese, tastes better when it is cooked overnight.

Hence last night, I started cooking at 9.30p.m. I started first by pounding the lemon grass, onions and garlic. While the pot of curry was on the gas stove, I suddenly heard a "pop" sound and to my dismay, I realised that was the announcement that every bit of gas had left the tank.!

"Gosh, what should I do now?" I can always cool down the half cooked curry and put it in the fridge, but that would defeat my purpose of precooking so that it would taste nicer the following day.

Then I had an idea. I dished the curry out into a glassware and decided to cook it in the microwave oven. My old microve oven had stopped working and when my client, Mr. Alfred Chong, found out when he came with his wife for dinner, he asked if I would like to have their mivcrowave oven since they hardly use it. What a timely provision! The Chongs' microvewave oven is bigger with more gadgets than the one I had.

Each time I have guests over, I would cook more so that my tenants could also enjoy a treat. Chris and Jason are such busy, career-minded youngsters that they never cook, preferring to save time by buying ready cooked meals. Due to my busy and sometimes unpredictable work as an estate agent, I am beginning to find it more convenient to just have my meals in cafes and restaurants, but I realise cooking is kind of therapeautic for me. I could listen to music or sing as I cook, and it is such a reward and joy to see my guests and friends enjoying their home-cooked food.
I guess the food always taste nice because it is polished with skill but seasoned with love:P

Gan Chau!

No comments: