Thursday, March 16, 2006

Zhi Wei and Zhi Yi

My friend, Mrs. Ram had asked if I would like to tutor Jan's sons who needed some help in English. Mrs. Ram had met Jan at the British Council. I had missed teaching all these 12 years since I resigned from full time teaching because of constant loss of voice. When I talked to Jan on the phone, I liked her immediately especially when she told me she would like to brief her sons first, and to see their response towards the idea of getting some help for English and writing.

I like parents who are liberal yet firm in handling their children. They are the ones who encourage their children to explore their potential to their fullest. Hence, it is not surprising that at such a tender age, little Zhi Wei already knows what he aspires to be when he grows up - to be a good lawyer. Even right now, he already shows his traits - he enjoys a good argument and is happiest when he can have the last say! His quieter, older brother, Zhi Yi wants to emulate his parents - to be in the world of finance.

Hence, every Monday afternoon, I would look forward to my tuition. It is such a pleasant experience to interact with two intelligent, lively boys. The Koh family also has a good maid, Leah, and a lovely Golden Retriever, Goldy. Sometimes, I would go a little earlier and walk Goldy with Zhi Wei before lessons commence. We hope the extra walk would help Goldy shed some weight. Goldy sometimes likes to sit beside Zhi Wei during the lessons as if she wants to learn some English too. But actually, she hopes to get some food.! Once I bought the boys a packet of cookies and we also gave Goldy some. Gosh, now the clever dog associates tuition time with food! Sometimes Goldy would give a bark to get some attention, especially when we were engrossed in our lessons. It is interesting how a four legged creature could give such an added presence of assurance and homeliness! Last Monday was the start of the one week school break. Zhi Wei helped the maid to bake some apple cakes and raisin cookies. We had some at tea break, and Goldy's eyes were wide with expectation of a good treat! Her nose was constatly pointed upwards, as if savouring the fragrance that permeated the kitchen and dining room.


During Oral English, I am touched to know how much Zhi Wei and his brother admire their parents and appreciate their hard work, love and dedication to the family. Despite their father's busy schedules, he always makes it a point to watch some television programs with his younger son. The children's equally busy mother also makes it a point to constantly check their school work.

Zhi Wei proudly showed me the lovely pieces of paintings and pottery he had created. He also showed me his father's lovely and huge collection of minature cars. Zhi Wei shares his father's passion for cars and told me he cried when his father sold their anqiue Morris Minor Convertible with an SS plate. "But I guess, life must move on", he shrugged his shoulders with a maturity beyond his age.

The number of broken homes in Singapore is increasing and the rate of divorce is growing at an alarming rate. Hence it is heartening for me to have such a pleasant experience of tutoring these two brothers, knowing, that even while their parents strive hard in their career, they also work hard in organising and prioritising their time to involve their children in whatever they do. Communication is very important, and children know it when their parents bother to find out how they feel.

I remember my ever cautious sister had repeatedly turned down her eldest son's request for a bicycle. One day, after reading her son's letter to her with the conclusion, "How can a careful mother like you have a careless son? Like mother, like son!" My nephew got his bicycle.

I am now encouraging Zhi Wei and Zhi Yi to start a blog together with their parents. Someone has said, "The family that prays together stays together". May I also add, "The family that writes together stays together too":-)

Gan Chau

No comments: