Friday, March 24, 2006

Yes, My PAPA is very rich!

One evening, while waiting for the bus to take me to Mr. & Mrs. Norman Suvan's home to babysit their little boy, I met two students from Hongkong, Sharon and Kevin, who were also studying at the University of Alberta.

During the conversation, I mentioned to them that I was on scholarship. My tuition fees were generously paid by Lee Foundation from Singapore. They looked surprised and said, "All the Hong Kong students thought you are from a rich family and that your father is a millionaire in Malaysia!" I was momentarily stunned. "I don't think I have ever told anyone my father is a millionaire!" I exclaimed.

Sharon tried to explain, "We know that you often invite people to your home for lunch or dinner and that you are an excellent cook. We also heard how you often give away photo prints without bothering to charge for them. So all the students from Hong Kong said your father is a millionaire from Malaysia!" I was even more stunned because I hardly interacted with Hong Kong students except with those from the committee of "Seacademy" a publication by the Chinese Students' Association where I helped them as Chief Editor of the English section of the magazine.

I was about to protest and explain, and just then caught sight of my oncoming bus.
"You are right! My PAPA, my heavenly father is indeed very rich! He owns this universe, and we can in prayer, ask Him for anything!"

In the bus I reflected over what I had just heard. Indeed if it had not been the blessing of my ex-employer's father, the late Mr. Lim Cheng Ean, I would not have taken my first step to board the plane to Canada. Out of the blue, he just decided to give me MR$10,000/- and encouraged me to further pursue my education! I had worked for his son and daughter-in-law, both lawyers at Lim Kean Siew & Co. He had heard that I was an excellent secretary who writes very well, and he felt my talent was wasted if I were to stay on with only a secondary school education. Lee Foundation paid for my full tuition fees. I worked part time as a cleaner and baby sitter to supplement my income for lodging and personal expenditure. It was not costly to buy food from the supermarket and cook them yourself; hence inviting guests to my apartment to share a meal had always been my joy and pleasure. Dining out was much more costly because labour costs are quite high in Canada.

One does not have to be a millionaire before one starts sharing. With the little that we have, we can still share and give. I have learnt all these years that the more we give, the more we actually receive!

Gan Chau

No comments: