Friday, March 03, 2006

Hail to the New No. 11 Bus!

I was spring cleaning my files and books when I came across this article which I had written for my English Professor. Thought it would be interesting to share with readers to give readers a glimpse of life at the University of Alberta.

A SILVER LINING BEHIND EVERY CLOUD

Coming from a country which is relatively strike-free, I am shocked by the
large number of strikes in this beautiful land of Canada. However, I refused to be daunted by the recent bus strike. "Have legs will travel" was my motto since the bus drivers took off. Hence, during the last six weeks, I must have walked and jogged a total of about 150 miles. I dislike to impose on my friends for rides, and I dislike the idea of hitch-hiking although the government has made it perfectly legal to do so. Therefore, I preferred to walk from the University to Kingsway where my music tutor is living. I find it hard to keep track of the numerous journeys back and forth.

As a result of the "exercise" I have lost some extra pounds. Not particularly an atheletic type, I began to discover the joy of walking and jogging. I was also able to think and ponder as I walked or jogged along, and have come up with this.... ahem! rather interesting article.

When we sang, "Count your blessings, name them one by one", I thought of how blessed it is that I am still young, and am not stricken with arthritis or Parkinson's Disease, especially at this time of "transport immobility". I only wished I had a car, so that I could have volunteered to drive some of the less mobile senior citizens.

Perhaps many of you have the same experiences as I have had. You have probably grown more robust and sprightly. Hail to the No. 11 Bus. It needs nso gas and no insurance policy. It fears no strike and best of all, it beats inflation too!

Gan Chau

No comments: