Thursday, March 02, 2006

KAK and PAP

Since Freddy Attenborough, a popular singer at the River View Hotel where my friends and I like to hang out for dinner and drinks, sent me an article on the acronyms of Singapore, it reminded me of an incident that took place when Mr. Bernard Chen was still the MP (Minister of Parliament) for Clementi Estate.

I was walking my two dogs, Kamlette (a mixed retriever) and Kambobo (a rough collie) when I saw one of my clients, Mr. Bay Chuah, who had just bought a condominium unit from me. "Mr. Bay Chuah!" I waved to him. His name is very disctinctive because in Hokkien dialect, if you add another word "Bay Chuah Bor" it means cannot get a wife, but of course this Mr. Bay Chuah is a happily married man. It is just one of those mnemonics that I create to help me remember clients' names.

I then realised that with Mr. Chuah was a contingent of PAP (People's Action Party)
staff and members and our MP was with them. I suddenly blurted out, "Mr. Bernard Chen, I don't want to vote for PAP anymore!"

"Why", he looked startled. I thought the other group members were somewhat stunned
at my frankness and audacity.

"I want to vote for KAK - Kamlette and Kambobo! KAK - Keep and Keep!
PAP - Yucks! Pay and Pay!

The whole group of men burst out laughing and I was so happy when Mr. Chen came to
pat my two dogs. Mr. Chen had scored another point with me, for I think most, if not all dog lovers, are kind and compssionate people. Hip! Hip! Hurray! for PAP!
I guess I don't mind paying and giving, if in doing so, I actually receive more!

Gan Chau

No comments: