Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Toilets.... and more toilets

Once my niece and I were taking a morning walk at a park near my brother's house at Willowdale, Ontario. Although the park was quite remote, I was struck by how clean the toilets were. It made me think of the public toilets in Singapore, which in sharp contrast, are often less than satisfactorily clean.

My friends know my favourite phrase whenever we need to use a public toilet. "Is it clean?" If I can help it, I would prefer not to use a public toilet. I wonder why sometimes, tons of papers would be strewn all over the floors, and why the floors of some toilets seem to be perpetually flooded. Would those who use the toilets indiscriminately do likewise in their own homes?

There is one particular public toilet that has caught my attention. It is located at the entrance to the Braddel MRT station. I guess it is always in a state of neatness and cleanliness because on the wall is a poster, stating: "If you find the toilets dirty, please call ......" The cleaners have even put some potted plants to decorate the toilet. I always give the cleaners a smile to show my appreciation of their effort and good work.

I remember in the toilets at the University of Alberta, I sometimes found poems written on the walls. If I could recall, here are some of them.... something to this effect.

Here, I lie in stinky vapor,
Because some bastards stole the toilet paper.
Shall I lie, or shall I linger
or shall I be forced to use my finger.

Here I sit
broken hearted,
tried to shit
but only farterd.

I came here
To shit and stink
But all I do
is sit and think.

Then higher up on the wall was a line with the words,

If you can piss above this line, the Fire Department
defintely wants to recruit you!

Once I waited for quite long in the ladies toilet at the university. Just as I was about to give up, a student came out. When I went in, I was surprised to find so many mathematical calculations on the wall! Was she an Einstein wannabe?

I guess Singaporeans are becoming creative too. Once in the toilet of a restaurant, I found a poster with the words:

We aim to please,
You aim too, please.

Patrons are requested to remain
seated throughout the entire performance.

The hands that clean these toilets also
make your food. Please aim properly!

Let us all cooperate to help keep our public toilets clean.... toilets that we are proud to present to tourists and visitors to our clean and green little island.

Gan Chau

No comments: