Friday, March 10, 2006

Why I Mastered the English Language

My cousin, Ah Pong, was five years older than me. He did everything with the speed of lightning, especially when it came to eating popsickles. He would finish his popsickle even before I could start mine, and look at you with pathetic Oliver Twist's eyes. Very often, I would end up giving him my popsickle instead. Yet, despite my generosity, he would often bully me. If I hit him once, he would hit me back several times! My second sister, Ean Ean, knew I was longing to be victorious with Ah Pong.

One day, Sister Ean said to me, "You hate Ah Pong, right? Want to get even with him?"

I nodded my little head furiously. At last there was going to be some respite from the urchin!

"Memorise this English sentence and when Ah Pong comes back after school today, say out the sentence to him, loud and clear. He will flee for his life!" advised my sister.

The whole day long, I memorised the sentence. As my cousins and siblings were all much older than me, I was the only left at home since papa could not afford to send me to kindergarten. Mama and all my aunties could only speak Hokkien, Malay and Mandarin. I would have to wait two more years to attend Primary One where education was freely provided by the Malaysian government.

I eagerly awaited for Ah Pong's return. Upon seeing him enter the gate of our kampong house, I called out to him.

"What? What? What?" asked Ah Pong with that perpetual sneer on his cheeky face.

"Ah Pong, today I want to tell you I love you very very much!" I declared loud and clear.

Ah Pong nearly fell in his tracks. He fled for his life! Hip! Hip! Hooray! My siblings all burst out laughing. Second brother said, "Choo, you have been tricked by Sister Ean." I cried when I realised the truth and was so overcome by embarrassment that I hid behind the chicken coop. I only came out of my hiding place when the mosquitoes started biting me. That night I vowed I would master the English Language!

When I attended primary school, I befriended the Indian stall owner in the kampong. By buying a few candies, I persuaded him to let me read his comics and story books without charge. I soon devoured all the books in Green Lane Convent Primary School Library, and persuaded my older friends to borrow books from their Secondary School Library to lend me. I just love English for it is such a rich and beautiful language.

I always envy the kids of today. There are so many modern and beautiful libraries. With the advent of television, VCDs, computers, etc., they can learn so many things. However, sad to say, many youngsters prefer to spend more time on games, etc.

On looking back, I want to laugh now at the somewhat embarrassing yet comical situation created by my mischievous sister. It is a blessing in disguise after all!

The importance of reading is very crucial for the mastery of any language. This is why I always encourage my students and all those I know to read as much as they can. Indeed reading maketh a full man... and may I humbly add... a happy man!

Gan Chau

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said M/s Kam
I encourage my children to read. But now my daughter is such an avid reader that I am asking her to slow down and diversify her interests.