Monday, March 06, 2006

Professor Pierre Monod and his wonderful wife

Professor Pierre Monod and his wonderful wife, Madam Monod, are one of my favourite lecturers in the University of Alberta. Professor Monod taught me French while Madam Monod taught me Educational Foundations. It is often said that most couples complement one another, and this is markedly so in this lovely couple.

Profesor Monod was always immaculately groomed and carried himself with a cool and composed air. He was patient and charming, defintely a favourite among the students. On the other hand, Madam Monod was very expressive and somewhat easily flustered. But she oozed with so much charm, that despite her messy hair and plain dressing, she was actually attractive and knew exactly what she wanted from her students as well as from her family.

I first met Professor Monod when I applied to join the French Immersion Program in Quebec. It was a one month program, and the cost per student would be about Can $3,000/-. When I found I was selected, I was quite dumbfounded and kept asking Professor Monod if he was certain as I was a foreign student and why would the Canadian government sponsor me? "Le gouvernement ne demandez pas question; mois aussi". (The government does not ask questions; me neither!")

Professor Monod was patient and understanding. We went to Montreal by train from Edmonton but flew back after the program. For three days in the train, I literally hibenated like a polar bear, so exhausted was I after term work. I just could not open my eyes even when Professor Monod was giving instructions during the train journey! I was grateful to him and the rest of the 29 Canadian students in the group for being patient with me, the only foreign student.

I went back to visit Professor Monod two years after graduation. Despite their busy schedules, (Professor Monod was also involved with the Swiss Embassy and held an important position while Madam Monod was also the Head of the Romance Language Department) they invited me for lunch at their lovely home. I was surprised when I saw a dummy seated on an iron wrought bench by the fire place. I thought it was a decorative piece of art. I learnt that Professor Monod had made the dummy so that it would help to lessen Madam's loneliness when he was away.

I asked Madam how she coped, given her busy schedules. "Shoo Shoo, (Choo Choo is pronounced with Sh in French) when my guests are here, they are more important than house cleaning! The dust can rest for a while!" she threw her hands disdainfully at her furniture. "People are more important than things! We use things to bless people and not use people for things".

May God bless this beautiful couple with great health and longevity. I am very grateful for all that I have learnt from them.

Gan Chau

No comments: