Sunday, June 17, 2007

A Great Club to Join - Economical and Beneficial

 

Prize winning ribbons for best speaker, best table topics and best evaluator.
Area U 1 and 3 prizes for Humorous Speech and International Contests.

It is almost a year since I signed up as a member with Dennis Wee Group Toastmasters' Club on 24th July 2006 with the encouragement of Aveline Tan, my manager. I guess if I had not joined Dennis Wee Group as a real estate agent, I might still be unaware of toastmasters'activities.

I have learnt so much from our own club and from various clubs in Singapore. Thanks to my passionate and encouraging Vice President for Education, Vanessa Yong, I was inspired to be diligent and focused on my goals of completing my speech and leadership projects so that I could be a distinguised toastmaster. Sometimes when people asked me why I managed to complete my projects so quickly, I would always reply, "If I had more youth and more time, my procrastination would not be a crime!"

How I wish I had learnt about toastmasters' club when I was younger.! The art of public speaking is such an interesting and unique experience. It is never easy to speak on stage. In fact public speaking is the No. 1 fear in the United Kingdom. The fear of death ranks as No. 7! I guess, this would also apply to every country in the world. Yet, this fear can be overcome through constant practice and training. And what better way to do it than to participate in toastmasters' activities.

My two older sisters, Lee Lee and Ean Ean, are natural speakers. As wives of church pastors, they have made an impact when they deliver sermons and testimonies. Being the youngest, I am the quietest and most shy amongst my dynamic siblings. Although I have won so many prizes for my speeches, I always have to make an effort. Given the choice, I would prefer writing to speaking. I remember my boss, Dr. Dennis Wee, congratulating me when he heard I had won the top prize for the Humorous Speech Contest. "Can speak well, eh....but you always appear so quiet in the office", he said.

Frankly, I would say that toastmasters' activities have helped me to become a better real estate agent. I never dream that I could be one of the top agents in my company! After joining our Club, I became more aware of the way I present myself before my clients in terms of body language and articulation.

I want to take this opportunity to thank our President, Lionel Ng and the exco members for having done a very good job although this is the first year of our club's existence. We have become a Distinguised President's Club. I also want to thank all the dynamic leaders - Lawrence Quek, Gea Ban Peng, Poh Kim Siong, Michael Wee, Patricia Lum, Khong Chooi Peng, Goh Wei Koon, Edward Ma, Clara Chang, Albert Lim, Patrick Chang, Richard Sng, Kan Kin Fung, Yong Ee Chuan, and many others for their committment towards toastmasters' activities. Indeed their fine examples have inspired me to become even more motivated and focused.

Gan Chau
Posted by Picasa

No comments: