Monday, June 18, 2007

Strong, Steady and Cute! The Volkswagon!

 

My sisters' Volkswagon - as old as my second nephew, Daniel!

Each time I visit eldest sister Lee Lee in Kuching, I would think of our scrapping system in Singapore. I am not knowledgeable about cars. I had to confess that I used to think cars could only last ten years since most people scrap their cars after a decade.! However, my sister's faithful old Volkswagon has proven that a car can be used even after 38 years! The engine is still good, and the metal works still beautifully intact. During all those countless visits to Kuching, I had never seen the Volkswagaon broken down when I was a passenger.

Sis bought the cute vehicle just after my second nephew, Daniel was born on 24th December 1969. It is interesting that one day, I received some comments in my blog from a stranger in America, claiming that he was there when my sister bought the Volkswagon with the number KA8944! Later I found out that he was Ed Wong, the son of sister's best friend, Alice, in Kuching.

Sometimes I wonder if the system of scrapping cars after ten years is a good idea. Are these cars really scrapped for their metals for it is such a waste of resources when the world is gradually being depleted of iron, steel, sand and wood.
It is not such a bad idea if these cars are resold to people in Malaysia or Indonesia where roads are wide enough should cars get broken down. As I have said, I am not an expert on cars. I had never worked with the Land Transport Authority and hence do not really understand their rationale for scrapping cars after ten years.

So readers, I present to you..... the cute and faithful Volkswagon. Sis had mentioned she would like to sell the car if she could get a fairly good price for it. Any takers?

Gan Chau
Posted by Picasa

No comments: