Monday, June 25, 2007

Singapore - A Nation of Johnny and Lucy Walkers!

The bus stops in Singapore are often beautifully designed. Even the seats are comfortable and tilted at an angle, so that commuters can face the oncoming buses and watch out for the buses they wish to board.

However, it is interesting to note that the distance between two bus stops is often quite far away. I suppose the Land Transport Authority has positioned the bus stops this way, as the distance for buses to cover is quite long. If bus stops are placed too close together, the numerous stops will cause more delay.

Hence, we have become a nation of Johnny and Lucy Walkers! The doctor at the Alexandra Hospital gave me a pedometer and told me that each day, I must try and cover at least 10,000 steps. Every day, I easily cover some 15,000 to 20,000 steps!!

I am glad I do not drive now. Destination walking has compelled me to become a Lucy walker too! I am glad to note that even those who drive now take to the gym and work out a few times a week.

So, everybody, let's walk on....to greater health and vitality!

No comments: