Monday, June 04, 2007

Terima Kasih, Malaysiakini

Thanks to the book written by Dr. Kua Kia Soong. If not, I would not have written about my reflections on the May 13th riots when I was still in Primary Six. I did not know the article would be featured in Malaysiakini, as I did not then know of the existence of this web! Thanks to my article, two of my classmates and childhood friends contacted me.! What a great joy to be able to be in contact after three and a half decades! Each time I went back to Penang and Kuala Lumpur, I was hoping I'd end up meeting some of my old friends on the streets!

Friends to me are precious. I find myself thinking a lot of my primary and secondary school mates, teachers, neighbours, etc. I often wonder how they are doing, and if some of the elderly ones are still alive and kicking!

The recent spate of falling trees and branches killing some Singaporeans and Permanent Residents made me think of the Lim family in my Jelutong Kampong (village).
One day, as Mrs. Lim was coming back from work, she was instantly killed by a coconut tree which fell on her. From that time onwards, I never like to go out on a rainy and stormy day as the memory of the scene still haunts me till today. I hope Mrs. Lim's children are doing well now.

Thanks once again, Malaysiakini. Keep up your good work!

Gan Chau

No comments: