Thursday, June 21, 2007

Sarawak Cultural Village

 

The lovely bedroom of a newly wedded couple
 

The house of the Melanaus
 

The creative dancers on stage
 

The natives of Sarawak are fun loving and resourceful

My eldest sister decided to take me to the Sarawak Cultural Village as I have never been to one despite being in Sarawak many times. It was about 45 minutes drive from town. The village is quite close to Damai Beach, and we took the opportunity to visit the well known beach.

It costs MR60 for a foreigner and MR25 for a local. Sis and her husband waited for me at the restaurant while I went inside the village. I was given a passport, and at each exhibit, I would get a chop.

A very interesting tour of the different types of houses we would find in Sarawak.
The highlight of the tour was a concert of one hour put up by the various native groups. There was much dancing and music. One of the men blew a blow pipe which burst the ballons which were hung high up in the ceilings. He later called up one of the audience - a petite lady to try out his blowpipe. The pipe flew out but oh! ever so gently and the crowd laughed. The man brought down the baloon and asked the lady to blow again. Although the blowpipe touched the balloon, it did not burst and the crowd laughed. He later gave the lady a pipe and asked her to burst the baloon. The crowded roared with laughter. It had looked so easy when the native blew his blowpipe. Only then did the crowd realise that handling the blowpipe is not an easy task.

I enjoyed myself very much and wish all the people in Kuching all the best.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: