Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A Happy Choice for the Happy Individual

Voxpopuli@Malaysiakini had written that it is not wise to mix religion with politics. I wholeheartedly agree. It is pointless to force someone to become a
Christian, Musliam, Hindu or Buddhist. To each his own. I can profess to be a
Buddhist, but if deep in my heart, I do not really believe in the teachings of
Buddhism, what is the point?

I cannot understand why the Malaysian government is so stringent on the case of Lina Joy. It reminds me of the time when I was a teacher. My students were very strong in Chinese, and many of them did not like to write or speak in English. I could not force them to love the subjects I was teaching - English and Literature. However, I could try to make my lessons so interesting that the students could begin to enjoy and appreciate the beauty of the language and the works of great English writers and poets. Once their interest was aroused, I had won half the battle. It was with great joy and satisfaction when the majority of the students scored distinctions in their 'O' levels for the subjects they once had detested!

I would earn my children's respect if I were to allow them to choose who
they wished to marry. There would be more joy, meaning and harmony in the family
if my children could stay married longer to the spouses they had fallen in love
with.

Similarly, a government of any nation, would be better off, if it allows its people to choose their own religions. After all, it is easier to rule a nation of people who are happy and contented with their own choice of beliefs. More importantly, that these religions would help to inculcate better traits in the people who profess to practise them. Let a Buddhist be a good Buddhist. Let a Muslim be a good Muslim. Let a Christian be a good Christian. Let a Hindu be a good Hindu. An individual is strong when he is of great character. He helps to build a good family which in turn helps to create a strong nation.

No comments: