Sunday, October 21, 2007

Compulsory Babysitting in Singapore

I feel very sad whenever I read of how some children perished in fires or fell from their apartments in Malaysia and Singapore. We heard of how mothers would just leave their children for just a few minutes to go to the grocery store to pick up a few things. Yet, unfortunately, those few minutes could end up in disaster.

When I was studying in Canada, I was surprised by the constant requests by families for babysitters. It was then that I learnt that the Canadian law does not permit parents to leave their children, aged 12 and below, to remain alone at home. At that time, (in the 1980's) I was paid one Canadian dollar an hour. I would usually be required to babysit for about 4 to 5 hours.

Being the youngest in the family, I never had the chance to care for someone younger than me. Hence, babysitting provided me with all the opportunities to love the children under my charge. I was always very careful and responsible in my work. Though I was allowed to study and read while the children were asleep, I was always alert and checked on the children now and then.

Perhaps it is time that the laws in Singapore and Malaysia are changed, to help parents to be more alert. We should be like our Canadian counterparts, making it compulsory for parents not to leave their children aged 12 and below to be unattended. Neighbours can also help one another...if a mother has to go out for just a few minutes, she can request the neighbour to keep an eye on her children. Or she could bring the children over to the neighbour's house for a while. If they have to be away for a few hours they could arrange with a babysitter. If the mother cannot find help, it is more advsible to take the children along with her. It is better to be inconvenienced than to regret later.

Gan Chau

No comments: