Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Let Us Be Gay!

Recently I received some emails from friends to sign the petition to keep Penal code 377A before Parliament debate.

I am afraid I do not understand the law enough or understand gays well enough to take a stand. Whatever I know or understand about gays are from the little experiences and observation that I have made.

Perhaps my very first exposure to a man who was more like a woman was the singer in papa's band. Han Long made no bones about his preference for men. Most of the lady folks in our village in Penang would declare, "Don't go near Han Long.....he only likes men". I was very young then, about 8 years old, and could not understand why Han Long would sway his hips and talk with active hand gestures. His shirts always had floral and colorful prints. Despite his quirkiness, everyone in the village liked Han Long, for he could sing very well and was a natural joker. Somehow, our famous Singaporean Kumar reminds me of Han Long.

When I was teaching in one of the prominent schools, I was somewhat taken aback by a student's article when he wrote that he enjoyed stealthily wearing his sisters' clothings when they were not around. He even applied lipstick and eye shadow, and revelled in being "a woman" just for a few hours. This student was one of the top boys in his class as well as the whole school. His scores were almost perfect. He later confessed that he liked one of the boys in his class, and was jealous because he had a girlfriend. But he admired him, his masculinity, etc. The students teased him for being sissy. Some of us teachers counselled him. Today, he is a successful doctor, and is happily married with two children. Perhaps it was a passing fancy or behaviour that came about because he was lonely, and the only son amongst 6 siblings.?

Of course, there are special people like the well known Sy Rogers, who was greatly transformed by the power of God. Perhaps we could say that God allowed him to go through his experiences in order that he could help others. Sy Rogers has set up a special ministry to help gays which is called, "Choices". For some, the breakthrough could only come with the help and power of God. But of course, it began with a choice. A choice to change and a burning desire to be transformed.

I must confess I am ignorant about Penal Code 377A. Although I have lived on earth for 53 years, ten months and eleven days I am not aware that such a code exists! People who steal or murder should be punished because from young, we had been taught the ten commandements. If Penal Code 377 should be in force, then the onus should be on the schools and government bodies to instil this moral sense of sexual purity amongst the citizens. Yet, all this while, things have been hushed, hushed. And suddenly this issue became the talk of the town. And we have people barking everywhere....some for and against. I have nothing against gay people. In fact, I feel sorry for them for they are actually (with the exception of a few black sheep) one of the kindest people on earth. The gays that I have met have been compassionate, helpful, harmless and like the rest of the people in Singapore, they carry out their work for the benefit of the country, eg. the RI teacher who taught excellently and was well loved and respected by his students. I read that Michelengelo was rumoured to be a gay. I also read that this great artist had received vision and inspiration from God.

It is amazing that we homo sapiens like to judge others. Who does not want to be "normal". Which man or woman does not want to be happily married with children and be accepted by society.? Unless a gay commits a crime, then he should be punished by the law. When we are open, some people with homosexual tendencies would be more encouraged to come out of their closets, and to declare, "I am a gay; I need help; I want to be straight".

Frankly, I would prefer gays to men who are "normal" but who stare at women from head to toe, imagining what they would look like without their clothes!!! Yet, these men could get off scot free with lust burning in their hearts and minds!

Ah! The irony of Life! Let us all be gay....I mean, happy! Life is too short. Let us enjoy the people we meet and learn from one another. Let us make the most of what life has to offer, and count our blessings and name them one by one!

Gan Chau

1 comment:

The Oriental Express said...

Well said, Choo Choo! I have just a couple of reservations:

1. Cross-dressers (or transvestites, to use a Latin word; men who like dressing in female clothes or vice versa) are not the same as homosexuals. There is an overlap, i.e. there are some people who are both, but most gays are not cross-dressers, and a lot of transvestites are heterosexual, i.e. they have no interest in sexual relations with their own sex, just like dressing in their clothes.

2. Gays changing into straights I think is seldom if ever possible. When it seems to have occurred (and even that is rare), so far as I know it involves people who are really bisexual (not homosexual), or people too young to have a clear sexual identity (which you suggest might have been the case of your student).

Anyhow your tolerant spirit shines through here as it always does. I'm a bit surprised this (legalization of homosexuality) is still an issue in Singapore, because my feeling is Singapore is generally quite liberal now on this issue. Homosexuality has never been illegal in China, though gays in the PRC are sometimes harassed under very general laws, e.g. charged with "hooliganism" (liu mang zui). In the West it was legalized in most places in the 60s (though in conservative US states not until 2003, though rarely enforced after 1980 or so), and in Hong Kong 1991. So I'd be really surprised if Singapore doesn't now do the same.

Best regards.
James Dunlap
Consultant
Corporate, Hong Kong
Extn. 5003


-----Original Message-----