Monday, October 22, 2007

When Bosses Give, They Receive!

Recently I rented out a penthouse to a lady who owns a group of companies. She had to move out of her current office as the owner had rented out the whole two and a half storey conservation shophouse for use as as restaurant. When I went to pass her some documents, I was surprised at the lovely renovation that she had put in even though the lease was only for 2 years. She shared with me that she had pumped in about $50K for the renovation! "Staff comfort and benefits are very crucial to me. I always believe that when staff are happy and well provided for, they will give of their best to the company!" The lady, Cassidy, has obtained approval to use the penthouse as a home cum office. My client's unit is already quite good, but it is still not good enough for Cassidy. She is putting in about $35k for the renovation. Hence she has asked for a three year lease.

Compare Cassidy with many of the bosses out there with a different mindset. Some of these bosses own construction, cleaning and shipping companies. I recently went to check on the sleeping arrangements of one of our church members, an Indian national working with a cleaning company. Some 20 people are being accommodated in one room! About 60 people are living in a unit with 3 bedrooms. Everyday, the staff have to queue up to cook and to use the washrooms, etc.

Bosses think they save money when they save on rentals. Do they not realise that if their workers sleep well and live in more decent conditions, they will be able to be more productive? Have we not seen how rats when put together in a cage can go crazy and tear each other apart? I beg your pardon....but these are two legged homo sapiens. When homo sapiens lose their sanity, it can be even more frightening.

Once I was very annoyed with a man who asked me if my client's three storey apartments could be used as workers' quarters. "How many workers are you looking at?" I asked. "200 workers?" "Sir, if I were you, I would not do that. It is cruel of you to do so....please don't just think of your profits....think of your workers' welfare and sanity and you will be richly blessed." "You help me lah....I give you commission".

"The rent is $8,000/-. As a tenant, you do not have to pay me commission. Please save your commission and use it to get better living quarters for your staff!" I said and hung up.

"Those who give, always end up receiving more". Unfortunately, it is only a beautiful and incredible phrase for some bosses.

No comments: