Friday, October 12, 2007

Kaypo Choo, the Self-Appointed MP

My neighbour, Irin, smsed me one early morning. Very unusual, for she works till 3 a.m. at a restaurant and usually wakes up at noon. She told me that someone had complained about her new dog, Bobby, a shi tzu. The person had called up the Housing Development Board about her dog's barking. She was so worried that she could not really sleep.

I told Irin, that as her immediate neighbour, I was not at all bothered about Bobby's barking. I would also speak to the HDB officer to explain, and if possible, to be a witness as well.

I smsed her not to worry... and signed off as her newly self appointed Minister of Parliament of Little India.! I would go around the block and speak to the neighbours and explain about the new dog, and seek their cooperation and understanding.

I remember that I met a neighbour on the lower floor during my first few days of moving into my new apartment. The neighbour told me that he did not like Irin, for whenever she came back at night, she would be quite inconsiderate by throwing rubbish down the chute. The sound of falling rubbish would stir him from his sleep. I told him to let Irin know of the problem, but he would rather not. I promised him that one day, I would bring up the subject to Irin, after I get to know her better. I had mentioned this to Irin, and shared with her that I do not use the rubbish chute as I prefer to bring down the rubbish to the bin on the 3rd floor. In fact I have sealed off the chute so as to prevent cockroaches from coming into my apartment.

Now Irin is doing likewise and has refrained from throwing rubbish in the wee hours of the morning. Communication is very important for good neighbourliness. Sometimes people do not realise their actions and it would be better to express our feelings with sincerity and tact. It is pointless to feel "paiseh" (bu hao yi xi - embarrased) when the anger is gradually being heated up in our veins. It is better to let our blood flow freely and cooly, and address problems head-on as they arise.

Mm...I have just received a welcoming letter from the Resident Committee. I am pleasantly surprised that the R.C. even know that I am the new kid on the block, and will accept their invitation to join them ....one day.

Ladies and gentlemen.....presenting you Kaypo Choo (Busybody Choo), the newly self-appointed MP of Little India!

No comments: