Saturday, October 06, 2007

Contest! Contest! Contest!

There are numerous Humorous and Evaluation contests in the month of October. Apart from helping in our own Division U where I serve as Area Governor U3, I tried to help out in other areas as well either as a judge or a test speaker.

The test speaking experiences have boosted my confidence in speaking more spontaneously before a crowd. I know now that my speed for thinking with wit and humour has been enhanced because of the opportunity to practise.

This year, as Area governor, I am not allowed to contest. It is in helping out in test speaking and judging that I learn even more! October is also a challenging month because I will be presenting my final project for Advance Communicator - Gold.

In my earlier article, I had written that volunteers are successful people. It is in giving that we receive. I feel that I have received as much as I have given in all my toastmasters' activities. They have helped me to think with speed and wit; they have helped me in inter-personal realtionship, especially in my sensitivity with words. Above all, toastmasters' activities have helped me in great time management, so that I still manage to juggle between work, indulging in my hobbies of playing the piano, violin and drum, writing in my blog, cooking for guests and toastmasters' activities, volunteer teaching in my church, and walking my neighbour's dog every evening without fail. There are so many fun and interesting things to do and look foward to...I have no time moan or indulge in self pity.

I would encourage all my readers to join a toastmaster's club in a vicinity close to his home or area of work. Oh! How I wish someone had told me about Toastmasters' two decades ago, instead of 18 months ago!!! I guess it is better late than never!

For those of you who have missed the boats earlier like me, don't worry. You are still on time to catch this great Ocean Liner of fun, learning and self discovery!

No comments: