Saturday, October 27, 2007

Maid versus Contruction Worker

If I have to choose to be either a maid or a construction worker, I would defintely prefer to be a maid.

At least I know I will have a room to my own. Even though it may be a tiny room, with just a bed and some storage space for my clothes, at least I know I would not have to squeeze with 19 others in a room, or fight with 59 others for the use of the only toilet in my living quarters.

I will also be able to enjoy the lovely home of my boss. Though it may appear quite tiring and even formidable to clean up such a huge bungalow, I can enjoy the beauty and cleanliness of the building. This is much better than working under the hot blazing sun or in the pelting rain at the construction site. Though we may still have to be alert with home safety measures, the danger lurking at construction sites is even greater.

For many bosses who are professionals, they would end up with only having to look after the welfare of one maid. This is much better than many companies who have to look after the welfare of hundreds of workers. Hence, my boss would be more likely to treat me better, and if I were a good and faithful maid, the family would soon treat me like their own members.

Food costs have gone up quite a lot recently. Hence, with the meagre salary, a construction worker would have very little left after deducting his food costs. As a maid, I am entitled to all meals in the home and it means I can save most, if not all of the $300/- monthly salary paid to me.

I know I would at least have Sunday mornings off to attend church. Most of the construction workers have Sundays off but they are not paid when they do not work. Some fair bosses give their maids one day off a week; others may just give once every month or fortnight.

In all, as a maid, I will be in a better position than a construction worker to save more. I will also try and make use of my off days to learn something useful... improve my English, learn how to sew and dabble with arts and crafts, etc. I will be defintely thankful to the Creator, that I was born a female. Even if I were born a male, there is still hope. I would try to become a valet or a butler. :-)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You would have a roof but would you have your freedom?
We often heard of maid abuses or abusing maids. But seldom heard of that for the construction workers.
I hope I will never have to choose between these two jobs.