Monday, September 15, 2008

Always Grow Good Corn

ALWAYS GROW GOOD CORN

There was a Nebraska farmer who grew award-winning corn. Each
year he entered his corn in the state fair where it won a blue ribbon...

One year a newspaper reporter interviewed him and learned something
interesting about how he grew it. The reporter discovered that the farmer shared
his seed corn with his neighbours.

"How can you afford to share your best seed corn with your neighbours when
they are entering corn in competition with yours each year?" the reporter asked.

"Why sir," said the farmer, "didn't you know? The wind picks up pollen from the ripening corn and swirls it from field to field.

If my neighbours grow inferior corn, cross-pollination will steadily degrade
the quality of my corn. If I am to grow good corn, I must help my neighbours
grow good corn."

He is very much aware of the connectedness of life. His corn cannot improve
unless his neighbours corn also improves.

So it is in other dimensions. Those who choose to be at
peace must help their neighbours to be at peace. Those who choose to live well
must help others to live well, for the value of a life is measured by
the lives it touches. And those who choose to be happy must help other to find happiness for the welfare of each is bound up with the welfare of all.

The lesson for each of us is this: if we are to grow good corn, we must help our neighbours grow good corn.

The above story was emailed to me by Toastmaster, Albert Lim. It reminds me of what papa often told us, "Water others and you will be watered. Prosper others and you will be prospered."

How true it is that the more we give the more we receive. Although I have been very busy helping out in our weekly Speech Craft program at Changi Prison and other toastmaster clubs in Singapore, I feel I have received more than I have given. After each meeting, I feel rejuvenated and happy. Each time I take away with me something I have learnt. In fact, I have become a better sales person because of what I have learnt from the clubs. Being busy has also helped me to be more organised and productive with my time.

All of us must not be too protective of ourselves. In other words, do not be a kiasu. (afraid to lose out to others). For example, if we want our bodies to be strong, we have to exercise regularly. We cannot protect it by remaining immobile or preserve it by not going out of the home. Our bodies will definitely weaken and become stiff. It is by taking the risk in playing football, tennis, etc. that we become stronger.

Hence let us learn to let go. Do not cling on selfishly to our possessions but bless others with them. There are two types of people - one who uses people to have things; the other who uses things to bless people. Which type do you belong to?

Gan Chau

4 comments:

arise said...

Dear Choo Choo,

Always grow good corn is a nice post/ story to spread about sharing and loving one another.
Ive a sort of similar illustration about loving our neighbours at one of my blogs : Pop a strip daily

You can cut and paste the url :
http://popastripdaily.blogspot.com/2008/09/love-your-neighbour-as-yourself.html

Win Nie

marcusan said...

Hi.Im Marcus. i landed here after reading your awesome comment rebutting micheles claims on here blog about the scralar energy pendant, probably months ago. i just want to say what you said inspired me. thank you. :-D

http://tanengsoonmarcus.blogspot.com

Cheerios~!

The Oriental Express said...

Hi! Thanks for your feedback. Have almost forgotten about it.

Us Michelle your sister?

Read your interesting and insightful blog. You are mature beyond your years! Keep up your analysis and profound thoughts.

Cheers.

Choo

The Oriental Express said...

Thanks Winnie. Glad to know you are still so activie in blogging.

Can't thank you enough for the help you had given me when I first started my blog.

Keep in touch.

Cheers.

Choo