Friday, September 26, 2008

My Think-a-Like - Dongfang Billy

I first heard of Dongfang Billy, a singer who is very popular with the elderly folks. I also read how he fought his cancer with good, organic and healthy food.

Recently we heard that his cancer has returned and he is preparing for his own funeral. Billy has even arranged for all the details of the funeral. What songs should be played etc. and he asked his friends and fans not to cry but to celebrate.

When interviewed, he mentioned that he had no regrets about not marrying for he is not "marriage material". I guess Billy meant that without being tied down with a family, he has more liberty and time to bless more people with his music and lifestyle.

At my recent toastmasters' table topics, I was asked to share about the person I admire the most. He is none other than papa. My members laughed when I told them that papa was a man in a million and I want to look for someone like him. Since there are only 4 and a half million people in Singapore, my chances are indeed very, very limited. Hence, this is why I am still single today! The guy that I am looking for does not need to have the five Capital C! Small c's will do ....committment, compassion, charisma, capability, and communication. Joke aside, like Billy, I am also not "marriage material". I treasure my freedom too much.

Like Billy, I am interested in too many things.....cooking, reading, piano, violin, music, languages, writing, travelling, dancing, etc. etc. I have never ever felt lonely in my life. Although I am a good conversationalist, I also enjoy being quiet for a great length of time. This is why my friends find it hard to comprehend how I could enjoy myself so much when I travelled on my own to Taiwan for the first time, or how I could be so bubbly watching a movie on my own in the cinema. I guess this is probably because I am always at peace with myself. Most importantly to laugh at myself. While I take my work very seriously, I don't take myself seriously.! Life is too short for that.

I am grateful to be still healthy and breathing today. I remember when Dr. Dennis Wee's secretary passed me an enlarged photo of myself, I said, "Mm...wow....I never have such a huge photo of myself. Mm....should come in handy for the casket van at my funeral. "Choi! Choi! Touch wood!" Sally immediately cried out. "You're so morbid, Choo.!" cried Mary. "Hey, don't play, play with such things". But little do my friends realise that given my chronic ear condition, it is a miracle I can live so long. The constant ear infection could have led to tetanus or cancer. However, my surgeon was relieved that the growth in my ear was not malignant. I have been listening to "free music" in my ears the past few years, but I always try to be cheerful and strong. My only regret is that with my ear imbalance, I could not drive, but I have learnt to be contented with taking my "BMW". With all the walking, I have lost some weight and have become even more agile!

"To me, it is not the length of our life but the quality that matters more. I have always prayed that I would be healthy if I were alive; but if God were to take me home, please do so with speed. I saw how papa had a stroke and within 3 days he passed away peacefully, never waking up from his coma. Papa was a very active man, and he would be miserable if he were unable to walk or speak after recovery.

Like Billy, I have asked my friends and relatives not to weep for me but to celebrate at my funeral. I have instructed my executor of my will to purchase the cheapest coffin she can find for whatever quality of wood is buried, it will rot anyway. (The money saved could be used to feed the living poor and hungry). The funeral should be as simple as possible, without any fanfare. For out of dust we are created and to dust we return.

My dear friends, since I hit half a century almost five years ago, I have always been prepared to go at anytime. This is why I live each day as if it were my last!"

Let us all make full use of our time, and let us count our blessings and name them one by one!

Gan Chau

No comments: