Wednesday, September 10, 2008

When Two Chinese Speak in Other Tongues.....

I can still remember this funny incident. It was one of those yearly vacations in Melbourne which I used to take during the December holidays. I was teaching then and with teaching, we enjoyed long vacations.

I took my uncle with me on a tour to the 12 Apostles. While we were admiring the rock formation, I suddenly felt someone tapping me on my shoulder. To my surprise, I did not know the stranger. Just then, he realised that he had tapped on the wrong person. "I'm sorry....I thought you were my wife." Then he pointed to a lady in red. I was also wearing a red T-shirt, and had almost the same build.

"Where are you from?" he asked me.

"Singapore.....and you?"

"Mauritius", he replied.

I then spoke to him in Mandarin but he said, "I only speak French and English...not Chinese".

Hence I started to converse with him in French, much to his delight.

As the bus was speeding along the highway, I smiled when I thought about the funny incident. Strange that when two Chinese from different parts of the world met together, they spoke in French and English but not Chinese!!

Gan Chau

No comments: