Friday, September 05, 2008

When Shoes Fall Apart!

 

My brand new pair of shoes that fell apart within 2 hours of use!
Fairly pretty to look at, but oh! so fragile!
 

My favourite pair of shoes! Not so pretty, but oh! so faithful and strong!
 

Vanity fair. Shoes for parties and social gatherings!
 

Plastic slippers that are great for a rainy day!

I had bought a lovely pair of shoes from a stall in a pasar malam (night market) at Serangoon some months ago. (See above picture 1) I had delayed wearing them because I still had some shoes. I bought the shoes because they looked attractive and were reasonably priced at $12/- a pair. They could also come in handy as a gift. I am in the habit of buying things when I see something I like. Also with so many siblings, nephews, nieces and friends who may just suddenly visit me in Singapore, it is handy to have some presents on standby, especially if I do not have time to go shopping there and then.

One Saturday afternoon, as I was attending a toastmasters' workshop on humour by Ng Cher Khim, I decided to wear the new pair of shoes. Just as I was walking towards the Braddel Heights Community Centre, I felt that my shoes were becoming somewhat lose. I looked down and was horrified when I realised that the ribbons were coming off, and the centre of the shoes were falling apart! Suddenly my brain cells refused to function as confusion took over! Should I carry on and pretend as if nothing was happening? I might have to end up walking barefooted! Or should I go back and change into another pair of shoes.? I decided to hail a taxi and just before arriving home, I called my tenant, Ashok, to help me bring down a pair of nice black shoes so as to save time.

Horror upon horrors! My somewhat dreamy tenant brought down the least suitable of all the shoes on the shelves! A pair of plastic slippers! (See picture 4) As I was running out of time, I made do with the slippers. As the taxi was heading towards Serangoon, I realised I should have just taken the taxi to a shop nearby to buy a pair of shoes instead. This would save me time and money.

I arrived at the Community Centre just in the nick of time and was relieved to find myself a corner seat in the centre of the auditorium. I was glad I was wearing a pair of long pants. If it had been a skirt, the pair of slippers would be too conspicuous!

When Cher Khim held a lucky draw at the end of the talk, I prayed very hard that I would not win a prize for it would mean going up the stage with the pair of plastic slippers! God answered my prayers.! I was glad that despite my ordeal with a pair of shoes that gave way, I had not missed the wonderful workshop.

In the past, I used to bring an extra pair of shoes with me as I had this fear of shoes breaking apart. However since I had my faithful pair of shoes (See picture 2), my confidence was restored. The shoes may not look dainty or feminine, but by golly, they are very comfortable and strong, and I could even run in them when I was rushing for time. Sometimes I look at ladies wearing shoes with very high heels and thin straps, and wonder when they will give way.

I wonder why some shoe makers do not take pride in their crafts. If only they could be like those elves in fairy tales who take so much pride in making their shoes! I am just so relieved that I had not given the pair of shoes away. What would the receipient of the gift think of me.?

Vanity versus simplicity and practicality? I'd rather opt for the latter.

Gan Chau
Posted by Picasa

No comments: