Thursday, September 25, 2008

My Forthcoming Promotion!

My friend, Janice, emailed me and informed me that she had been promoted to GM! Not General Manager, but Grand Mother! Her daughter-in-law had given birth to a bouncy baby.

I told Janice that I would also be promoted to SM! Not Senior Minister, but Senior Member of Singapore! I just cannot wait to be promoted! Just 75 more days to wait and I will be 55 on 12th December 2008.!

Interesting how the more we want to hide our age, the more others are determined to analyse the number! Very often during my speeches, I would openly reveal how old I was, and some people would be very surprised. I remember how proud mama was when she became a grandmother for the first time and proudly declared her age. Hence, I grew up with the idea that aging graciously is a most wonderful part of life. In Chinese, the word "lao" carries the connotation of being venerable. Hence, papa and his friends would often address each other as "Lao Ong, Lao Tan, Lao Kam," etc. Contrast this to the word "old" in the English Language. Old suggests getting on in years, degenerating and falling apart. Is this probably the reason why in the West, most people are loathe to reveal their age?

On 12th December, I will start to enjoy many benefits reserved for citizens in Singapore who have come so far in life. Just to name a few examples. I will only pay $4/- for a movie ticket in any cinema during the week days. On the 7th visit to the cinema, I will be given a free bottle of essence of chicken to ensure that I will have more energy to visit the cinema again and again! However, I would most likely pass the essence of chicken to Aunty Kang, the cleaner in Dennis Wee Group. For the past 25 years, I had only visited the cinema 4 times! The first time was with my students in River Valley High School. The second time was by invitation from my best friend, Soh Wah, on the first day of Chinese New Year. Soh Wah came in her Mercedes to pick me up, bought the tickets at $7/- each, and after the show took me for supper. She really pampered me. I thought the tickets would cost only $4/- each, and I was surprised that the seats were so big. Soh Wah laughed. "When was your last visit to the cinema, Choo?" "Umpteenth years ago when I only paid $3.50 for one ticket", I said.

Somewhere in the middle of the screening, my eyes were threatening to close. Hence I got up and did some exercise. Fortunately we were seated at the last row; hence I did not cause any obstruction. Soh Wah shook her head and said, "Choo, you remind me of Mr. Bean!"

Recently my tenant, Jasmin, insisted on watching "Mummy" at the cinema. I told him I would wait for it to be shown on television. "No, the effect is different in the cinema, "Jasmin coerced.

When I went to the cinema to purchase the tickets, I realised about the benefit for senior citizens. So many senior citizens do not even realise about the special $4/- cinema ticket! On impulse, I bought a ticket to watch "Lotus 12". I enjoyed watching the movie alone, because there was no necessity for me to talk and I enjoyed being silent for the next few hours. "Mm...I'll certainly watch all the good movies in town when I turn 55, and I will choose weekdays as it will be less crowded."

As a venerable member of Singapore, I will also be given 50 per cent discount when I visit the Esplanade! As tickets are so costly, it means a huge saving at half price!
How wonderful it is to be 55!

For having lived and contributed so much to Singapore, the government will also give Senior Citizens a better package when they give out monetary rewards to Singaporeans.

So often, people tell me that I look ten years younger. I guess the shine in my complexion belies my seniority! Once a lady called and when I asked her for the full name of the person, she impatiently said, "Please call your mummy to the phone!"
I guess being active and having a positive attitude will help us to be lively and youthful whatever the age! Truly, growing old is an art!

At 52 I learnt to use the computer, and at 53 I started my blog and tried public speaking at various toastmasters' clubs. At 54, with the coercion and encouragement of Dr. Dennis Wee and Mr. Lionel Ng, I tried my first flying fox!! I have started taking violin lessons from Mr. Yan at Braddell Heights Community Centre. I am now learning Hindi and Tamil from my Indian tenants and friends. Next January, I will start taking lessons in gu zheng and pop and jazz piano. "Huo dao lao, xueh dao lao" - Learning is a life long journey. Keeping physically active and constantly learning new things will reduce our chances of meeting Mr. Parkinson and Mr. Alzheimer!

Cheers! May all my dear readers grow more venerable each day!

Gan Chau

1 comment:

RUN WITH THE WAVE said...

Hey there! Join us for a BBQ buffet at the beach in Penang with watersports activities included this Christmas! Check out my website at www.runwiththewave.com Thanks!