Monday, February 01, 2010

Excuse Me, Are You a Property Agent? .....(17)

"Next week hor, I have no more car to drive leh", said the co-broking agent, Garen.
He looked sad enough and I suddenly took the usually exuberant agent more seriously.

"Why"

"My licence will be suspended for two years for drink driving".

"Aiyo! Why do you drink and drive, you naughty boy", I exclaimed with dismay.

Garen looks younger than his 28 years of age. Though he only has three years experience as an agent, he is diligent and has that child-like enthusiasm that many clients should find attractive.

"Got no car, can still be an agent or not huh?" asked Garen with a distinctive
liking for Singlish.

"Can mah". I replied in Singlish and hit my laps to show that these are the "kah" (in Hokkien dialect, meaning legs).

"Got "kah" can travel and sell properties! With our BMW (Bus, mrt, walking), we are sure to arrive on time. All these years, agents and clients could hardly fault me for being late. I always try to arrive at least 15 to 20 minutes early.

"I don't know whether I can still sell properties. I wonder how you manage to carry your heavy bag around the island," sighed Garen.

"Garen, I am twice your age and I am not complaining. In fact, some of our top producers - Nicole, Gina, Sally and Serene, just to name a few, in our company also do not drive. My new agent recruit Maya, who came in the top 100, also does not drive. Clients do not bother with whether you drive or not. They are more concerned about your product knowledge, integrity and punctuality. It's your determination and perseverance that are going to determine your great success.

I shared with Garen about the petite Nepali ladies toiling with 10 to 20 kilos of rice on their backs or heads, and ascending the lower parts of Mt. Everest. With my backpack which weighed about 3 kilos, I was already near exhaustion. I guess things always become easier with practice and determination.

Go, Garen, go with your kah, not car!

Gan Cao

No comments: