Friday, May 19, 2006

The Beauty of Being Small

Just in case, some readers think I am writing another article on small boobs.... no, your guess is wrong. This time I am referring to the small and beautiful island of Singapore.

The late President Ong Teng Cheong once said in his speech that when Singapore first became independent, the world was worried she would not survive because she was so small. Yet this small, premature baby of a nation has grown to be so huge in terms of economic, social and international development that we are no longer a third world nation. "Now, the world said we could succeed because we are so small after all.! Being small it is easier for the government to look after the country!" commented the late Mr. Ong to much laughter from the floor.

Frankly, I like to live in a small country, in terms of land size. Over the two and a half decades of living in Singapore, I have grown to appreciate the wonderful infrastructure. I am not a politician or a statistician, but I would like to think that Singapore has one of the best transport system in the world! I appreciate this even more since I had to give up driving the past 6 years due to my ear problems. I hope it is only temporary, and I could go back to driving again in the near future so that I will not lose my skill.

People often ask me how I get around as a property agent since I do not drive. For this I have the government to thank for. I am now very adept at public transportation and have the bus numbers at my finger tips. When I am in a hurry, I can always take the taxis. I am proud to say that I have sold two apartments at Clementi Park even though I have to take three buses to Clementi Park (about one hour travelling time) and I had never been late for any appoinment with clients. In fact, I find that since I do not drive, I am able to maximise my time very well. I can read while waiting for the bus or train. In between appointments, I can do my work in the food court or fast food restaurants like MacDonalds and Kentucky Fried Chicken and do not have to worry about parking, summons, overdue limit, etc. Best of all, I find I have actually grown to be more fit due to the extra coverage on my No. 11 transport which needs no gas, taxes, etc.
You have guessed it right.... the excellent walking exercises from the MRT/bus stations
to my clients' properties.

If you live in Australia or America and you say you cannot do well in real estate, it is acceptable. But in this small, lovely island of Singapore, there is no excuse.
Let us all continue to have the drive, determination and perseverance of our forefathers and press on, to help polish this small, beautiful gem of an island into an even more radiant and glorious piece of jewellery!!

Gan Chau :-)

No comments: