Friday, May 05, 2006

Nokia! Nokia!

My bestfriend, Carrie, was in the real estate business after quitting her nursing job. One day, she said to me, "Eeeeh, I don't want this Nokia handphone anymore.
So bulky and ugly. Everybody stared at me at the bus stop So embarrassing lah."

Carrie bequeathed her handphone to me. I was about to quit my teaching job and was also going to start as a real estate agent. As I was not sure whether I could succeed as an agent, I did not mind to have Carrie's handphone.

Once when I was in the MRT, my handphone rang. The ringing was loud and clear and soon all eyes were fixed on the huge object placed next to my ear. A young student sitting next to me was fixated like as if he had never seen such as huge Nokia in his life. Just after I finished my conversation, I turned to the young student, "Boy, what are you looking at? Don't you know our future coffin will be shaped just like this handphone?" He suddenly turned his eyes away, and I caught some passengers trying to stifle their giggles when they heard me.

As the Nokia handphone was quite heavy, it was easier to carry it as if it were a handbag. It would also be a good weapon to knock the daylight out of any potential molester!

I was invited to join Aim Real Estate Agency. I found it attractive to join this company because the company only took $30/- from every commission received regardless of the amount This was certainly much more attractive than some companies that took 30% to 50% cut. However, agents were left to work on their own.
I remember I tried to ask for help but was snubbed. Probably the people concerned must have thought I was an unsuccessful agent because I could not even afford a decent, more contemporary handphone. Soon they realised their misconception as they saw me with a huge stack of yellow papers, signifying closed deals! The agent carrying that ugly, antique handphone was quite successful after all! Suddenly the once cold office seemed to ooze with more friendliness and helpfulness!! It was only after much coercion by Carrie that I decided to upgrade my faithful handphone which continued to function well, despite having been dropped a number a times!!

It has been 12 years now since my first Nokia phone. Till today, I am still using Nokia handphones, albeit different models. I find Nokia user friendly. I am lost when I try other models. How I wish I had kept my "coffin shaped", antique Nokia handphone instead of trading it for a newer model. It would be a good souvenir for me to remember those early days when I first struggled as a real estate agent.

No comments: