Monday, May 01, 2006

Happy May Day

1st of May is a happy day for all of us in Singapore, for it is a public holiday in recognition of our hard work. So here is Ganchau wishing everyone a Happy May Day

I must thank God that all these years, I have enjoyed my work thoroughly. I started work as a typist in Penang, earning MR70/- a month. Later I joined a legal firm with M$120/- a month and within 4 months had 3 promotions. As secretary, I was earning MR220/- a month. Work in the law firm was very tough because it was not easy to serve a very demanding and intelleigent lawyer. I had to work speedily yet could not afford to make mistakes. My typing speed on the manual typewriter soon increased to about 85 wpm!! I was probably the fastest typist in town! I enjoyed talking to clients many of whom came to consult my boss on divorce matters. My three years in the legal firm matured me so much so that when I participated in the writing contests organised by the now defunct Straits Echo, I won eight first prizes and two second prizes!

In Canada, I enjoyed my part time work as a house cleaner cum baby sitter with Cinderella Maid Services. I enjoyed going to different homes to clean. It was lovely talking to the customers as well as admiring their beautiful homes.

After obtaining my Diploma in Education I taught in River Valley High School for 5 years and ACS(Independent) for another 5 years before I quit due to continual loss of voice. Teaching is and will always be my first love. I enjoyed myself tremendously while working with young minds and souls.

When I decided to try my hands at real estate work, many of my well meaning colleagues were very concerned. I had never done sales before but I had faith that God would not let me go hungry; He would at least give me a bowl of simple porridge. If He blesses me with a banquet, I could invite people to my banquet.

When a client wanted to leave for Italy, I took over his Rialto and operated it for 8 years. I want to laugh now for I am not a trained chef but yet received so much more publicity when I was interviewed by both Today and Straits Times. I was also interviewd on Channel News Asia Prime Time Morning News. Now a capable, younger chef Edward Winnings, has taken over the restaurant, leaving me to go back to real estate work and part time tutoring.

I am glad that I could say I enjoy all that I do thoroughly. My late father had always advocated that if something is worth doing, it is worth doing well. Work will never seem like work when we enjoy it; work appears to be like a hobby! I enjoy real estate work because I like architecture and home decor. I am also very much aware that in real estate work, I can only try my best; I have to leave God to do the rest. Unless the Lord builds the house, they labour in vain who build it; unless the Lord guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain. ..Psalm 127:1

Ganchau :-)

4 comments:

thanh7580 said...

Wow such a varied working life. Firstly 85 wpm, unbelievable. I can touch type pretty fast and can probably do 50 wmp max while making a few mistakes.

Secondly, you own a restaurant? Thats great, I must visit it one day if I ever go to Singapore, I love food. What type of food do you sell. From the name of it, it sounds quite high class?

Thirdly, I agree that if you do something, then you should try to do it well. Which is why I will make my blog the best I can hehehe.

The Oriental Express said...

Thanh, I notice you have written a few articles on the restaurantss in australia and that you are quite a connoisseur of food. I like the vietnamese restaurants in Melbourne. Really good.

I am no longer running Rial;to now, but I still can help set up franchisees for Rialto, but am particular about the choice of franchisees. Not everyone is cut out for food biz which is very demanding.

Do try Rialto food when you are in Singapore.

Choo

The Oriental Express said...

Gosh, I was quite sleepy when I was at the computer last night -past the golden hours of sleep 10p.m. to 12.00a.m. So many typing errors! Paiseh!! Bu hao yi si!

Rialto is well known for its crispy thin pizzas and pastas. Our tiramisu and panacotta are quite popular too.

Do you cook well? I just love Vietnamese Pho. The Viet outlets here are not as good as the ones in Australia.

Choo

thanh7580 said...

Melbourne does have some of the best Vietnamese restaurants in the world. I like Pho a lot, and seeing as I live in Springvale where there are SO MANY Vietnamese restaurants, I eat a lot of Pho and some are definitely better than others.

I do have a passion for food, must pursue it one day, maybe later in life. I especially LOVE desserts, with Tiramisu being one of my favourites. I recently tried the Tiramisu at a shop in Melbourne called Brunetti's. They're quite famous for their cakes and desserts and it definitely was very good.