Wednesday, May 31, 2006

For the Love of Music


Photo of my wonderful papa taken with the Nightingale Melodians, a musical group that often held charity concerts in Penang and other towns of Malaysia. Papa arranged most of the music for his group. Papa's favourite words, "Music has power!"
Papa with his clarinet, seated on the first row, 1st from right.


With the love of music inculcated in us by our beloved papa, it is natural that I should have a soft spot for musicians. Every time, I pass by a busker, I would stop to chat with him/her and give a little token of appreciation for the music he/she is contributing to passers-by. These musicians often remind me of my wonderful papa; how he took on another job as a part time band master in a night club to supplement his teaching income; how despite his busy work schedules, he still found time to give free music lessons to the poor children in our village in Penang. All my siblings play two to seven musical instruments, nothing compared to papa, who could play more than 20 musical instruments, self taught.

Hence, Ik See's matter has stirred my heart. I remember how papa would constantly remind us to be less clumsy and avoid injuring our hands. Except for brother Kee Yong, the rest of the other four siblings are only playing musical instruments for enrichment. We are not even gifted like Ik See. I remember how terribly upset papa was when I injured my little finger while playing netball in school. I could not play the piano for 3 months. Here MINDEF is barking the order, "National Service first; Curtis later." I remember an incident when brother Kee Yong got into a legal tussle with the man who provided a piano for his concert. The man insisted that the piano was flawless, definitely not out of tune. When the judge heard that it was Kam Kee Yong who said that the piano was out of tune, by golly it was out of tune! The judge knew that a musician's ears, let alone a prominent violinist, has acute hearing. My concern now is, "Will there be any possible injury to our young Ik See's ears and body.?" Now I understand why the world's great musicians insure their hands for a hefty sum. Sigh.

When we have experienced something good, we want to share. Although Ik See is not related to me and I have yet to hear him play, I wish him well. I wish he will also enjoy all the blessings that my niece, Kam Ning, has enjoyed. Like Kam Ning, I hope Ik See too will be another "cultural ambassador" for our small nation, bringing fame and glory, so that more people will know about the little dot on the world map.


My favourite photo of Kam Ning taken when she was 11 years old.
"Oh God, please let me play my best", prayed Kam Ning, while getting ready for her first recital in singapore.

Gan chau :-)

2 comments:

Lovely Tots said...

Oh my! I'm really happy and surprised to receive comments in my blog from Kam Ning's aunt. How is she? That pic of her really reminds me of school days with her. Not sure if she can still remember me though. :o) By the way, my name is Amilia Sng.

Lovely Tots said...

I'm so glad to hear receive comments from you. How is Kam Ning? Wonder if she can still remember me? BTW my name is Amilia. No me not famous, just enjoy making accessories. :o)