Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The Importance of Being Paranoid

After writing my article "It's Time" which came about in response to Wong Kim Hoh's "Chagrin and Bare it" I pondered over the contents. It made me recall another case of harassment. Rev. Samuel Sia was finally acquitted, but what happend to the lady accuser? If the law should punish and jail a man if he is found guilty, then why does the law not punish the lady if she loses her case? You can imagine the stress and anguish the accused and his family and friends had to go through all those horrendous months of humiliation and pain.

Recently I helped a client, Mr. Ong, to sell his 5 room HDB flat. He told me that the moment some agents knew he was going to sell his flat, many attempted to get an exclusive from him. A lady agent who happened to pass by insisted on coming in to have a look at his lovely flat, but Mr. Ong, adamantly refused, saying that he was the only one at home as his wife was in church. He proudly declared to me, "You never know, Choo, nowadays it is very dangerous. Women are very bold now. What if the lady shouts molest...even if I were innocent, I would be in deep trouble. It would be her words against mine and she would not go to jail even if I were finally proven innocent!" I commended my client for his wisdom. Until the law changes, it is wiser for the men to be extra cautious, even to the point of being paranoid. After all, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Gan Chau :-)

5 comments:

ouizard said...

The italicized is the prayer for serenity, and I only borrowed it.

Reflective and profound. Thank you for your comment. :)

Visit me again soon.

http://beautifulgentlemind.blogspot.com/

The Oriental Express said...

I am referring to your other articles in your blog, Tom. The Prayer for Serenity is very well known.

Keep up your good writing! I enjoy your articles.

Choo

Sibeh Sian said...

It's sad, but we men live in dangerous times :(

And paiseh, but what does 'Gan Chau' means huh?

The Oriental Express said...

You can find the answer to your question in my article, "Papa and His Ganchau" posted on 18th March in my blog. I seldom respond to newspaper articles. Just that Wong's article made me think of my poor guy friends and unfairness of the system.

You will enjoy my earlier articles as they are quite funny as I am very "xiao".

Btw, why do you hide your eyes in your photo, Sibei?

Gan Chau

Sibeh Sian said...

Very steady. I shall go read up on your earlier and very oriental entries.

BTW, I hide my eyes because deep inside, I am a very shy Chinese monk.