Friday, May 12, 2006

Xiao Bai's Double




My associate and I had gone to Lornie Road to meet the owner to view his
house and to sign an exclusive to sell his property. As Eddie was going to
be an hour late, my associate had to go off and I went to a nearby bus shelter
to read the papers while waiting.

Suddenly I heard a dog barking. On turning around, lo and behold, at the gate
of House No. 10 , was a cute cream coloured Chow Chow, looking almost every
inch like my beloved Chow Chow, Xiaobai. "Oh, hello, doggy", my heart leapt with joy. "How are you doggy.... you are so cute!" The dog kept looking and barking at me and suddenly I felt as if the Chow Chow was telling me not to feel sad about my Xiaobai and tears filled my eyes. It kept barking at me, and I was momentarily glued to the seat at the bus stop, fighting my tears.

When I walked towards the gate, the Chow Chow ran away!. I looked through
the space in between the walls of the gate but could not find him. Momentarily
I wondered if I was dreaming since I miss my pet so much.

Upon closer observation I realised that there was another gate leading to
House No. 8 House No. 8 is a very huge bungalow and although I called
out to the doggy, I could not see him. I decided to ring the bell at the gate
and when a lady answered, I asked her if she had a cream Chow Chow, and
told her I just saw her dog and found him to be so cute. I went home, feeling
intoxicated with sheer joy!

Cream coloured Chow Chows in Singapore are very rare and and they often
do not bark unnecessarily. There was also no reason for the Chow Chow
to come to House No. 10 and barked at me from a distance. I was not even at
the gate of the house. I was at the bus stop, enjoying the daily news, unaware
of the dog. He was also such a shy dog that when I walked towards him, he ran away. Yet, during those fleeting moments, I felt so joyful and comforted.

I will be sending the lady at House No. 8 a postcard of Xiaobai soon
and befriend her so that I will be able to visit her and her dog.!!

Ganchau :-)

No comments: