Sunday, May 14, 2006

A Motherly Heart

Today is Mother's Day! For the past 3 decades, I have always been kept very busy on Mother's Day. I would receive Mother's Day messages through mail, computer and telephone. Somehow people forget I am single and regard me as if I am married with many children!! I guess when you have been a teacher for so many years, you soon develop a motherly heart for the students you teach. Maybe it is also because I am motherly by nature, being such a kaypo (busybody).

I went to bed at 8 p.m. last night so that I could join my god children for today's continental breakfast. But before that for a 10km morning walk. We are not competitive walkers; just walking for fun and a chance of doing some activity together. Tonight, my good friend, Janet Tan, has invited me for a Mother's Day Dinner cum Rally at RELC Building. The speaker is Rev. Oh Beng Kee, a popular evangelist well loved for his tremendous sense of humour. His sermons often send the audience roaring with laughter. Rev. Oh preaches in Hokkien, and Janet wants me to share with her non-Christian friends whom she has invited to the dinner.

I am glad I have just recovered from my bout of flu. I have learnt that when I fall sick, I must be thankful to the Creator, for it is an obvious sign that my body is crying out for rest! My pastor has said that if God cannot get your attention vertically, He has to get your attention horizontally, when you lie flat on the bed! It is moments like this when I am not running around that I become even more contemplative and reflect more deeply. This in turn, helps me to be more prolific in my writing!

Wishing all the wonderful mothers in the world, and every single lady with a motherly heart "A Happy and Blessed Mother's Day!"

Gan Chau :-)

5 comments:

thanh7580 said...

Well since you're not a mother, "Happy Teacher's Day".

The Oriental Express said...

Thanks very much for your thoughtfulness, Thanh.

Just for general knowledge, Teacher's day Celebration is on 1st Sept. Is it the same in Australia?

How about May day in australia?

cho

thanh7580 said...

I had no idea there's a Teacher's day even, just sort of made that up.

We don't have a May day here, what is that?

The Oriental Express said...

May Day which is 1st of May is also known as Labour's Day. Hence it is a public holiday to honour all workers and those who work. I guess you also have a Labour day in Australia ... maybe on a different date?

Choo

thanh7580 said...

Oh Labour Day. Yes we have that, this year it was on March 13th. Usually its around the March time but varies from year to year.