Saturday, May 13, 2006

Today's Precocious Kids!

My two young students, Kang Jie and Ming Jie, are in Primary Six and Five. Both brothers are very bright, albeit have different personalities. Ming Jie is the lively and talkative younger brother, while Kang Jie is more soft spoken, cautious with his words and exudes an air of brotherly authority over his younger brother.

His parents want to help mould their sons and thought that my "Language for Life" tutorials would be a help to the two children. I do not believe in tutoring a child for more than a year. Tutoring him for 6 to 9 months is enough to show him the ropes of the secret of language mastery, and more importantly to be able to appreciate and enjoy the use of English Language in his daily life. Once a child is motivated, his interest in the Language will carry him beyond examinations. He will be able to sharpen his thoughts and speak off the cuff or give a good repartee when necessary in his working life.

I also realise that today's kids are usually very smart and well informed. As teachers, we have to be on our toes, to learn as much as we can so that we can impart knowldge to our students. However, there is one area I must concede defeat. It is computer knowledge!! My young students are natual computer wizards!!

After reading my blog, Kang Jie and Ming Jie were so inspired that they set up their own blogs! When they realised I hardly have photos in my blog because I do not know how to post photos, they volunteered to teach me. Hence it was agreed we would work together on the computer after they have finished their exams and would spend an extra two hours after tuition to fix up the computer. In appreciation I gave them a treat of homecooked Penang Char Koay Teow.

Thanks to Kang Jie and Ming Jie, my blog now promises to have more colourful photos!
So take heart, Jaffe Boy, your request for more pics on my blog will soon take place!

Though I am doing real estate work now, the teacher heart in me still enjoys working with young students. Hence I make time for tutoring twice a week so that I can keep abreast with education with my students. Frankly, as much as I am teaching these young ones, I am also learning from them. Their enthusiasm and zest for life constantly remind me to keep alive with fresh and more insightful ideas and not become stale curry!! As the French like to say, "Bon vivant!"

Gan Chau :-)

2 comments:

jaffeboy said...

I patiently wait for more pictures... I must say those pictures of Xiao Bai are so cute...

Anonymous said...

Hi! Guess hu i am?

I am one of ya precocious kid's fren...it is up to you to find out which kid!

Argh! nvm....i am kang jie's fren lar hahas