Monday, March 24, 2008

101 Reasons for Being Happy!

I am so glad to be able to help out as a Language Evaluator in toastmasters' clubs in Singapore. In America, a language evaluator would also be known as a grammarian. As the word suggests, I help to point out good usage of words and phrases, and help to improve words which could be pronounced more accurately, or sentences which can be rephrased more aptly.

I love my volunteer work so much, that sometimes my colleagues tease me for being a full time toastmaster and a part time agent! Perhaps I should even say that selling real estate is my hobby, for someone had said that if we enjoy what we are doing, the work no longer seems like work - it is more like a hobby!

When I help out in the evaluation, I feel like I were back in the classroom. I dare say that I miss teaching. Am glad that I still keep with me some of my students' creative writing. When my students were given the exercise, "Write in point form, 101 reasons why I am happy", I was amazed by their creativity. It also makes me realise how, beneath all that mischief and sometimes even a tinge of rebellion, the students are actually sensitive, sensible, and somewhat more profound than they care to reveal. Here are some of the lists.

1. I go to school in a Mercedes. (Teacher said the kids in Nepal had to walk for hours to school!)
2. I enjoy the fragrance in the car. (The kids had to smell cowdung along the way).
3. I go to ACS - the best school!
4. My teachers are great!
5. Mum is so beautiful!
6. Dad is great ....and rich!
7. I play soccer well.
8. Everyday I have good food at home.
9. My maid helps me clean my room.
10. Girls like me (I think so!)
11. Am quite handsome (Ahem!)
12. My parents love me.
13. I still have grandparents. (Teacher said her grandparents died before she was born).
14. I have a big and nice room all to myself.
15. I can play the piano.
16. Teacher praised my essay writing yesterday.
17. I scored 90 per cent for last maths test.
18. We have good government although PAP means pay and pay!
19. Our school has a big swimming pool!
20. I am quite popular in school.
21. My dream of becoming a singer/composer will come true. (I just know it!)
22. We're luckier than our neighbouring countries.
23. Dad said he would bring me to Disneyland in December.
24. I'd improved in my Chinese, my once dreaded language!
25. I learn to worry less. (Teacher said worry cripples me.)
26. I just got a new toy!
27. Just started to learn golf.
28. Made up with my best friend. We'll be friends forever!
29. My dog just gave birth to 4 puppies.
30. Mom allowed me to learn some cooking from the maid.
31. Saw dad kissing mum and telling her he loves her! Want to be like dad when I grow up.
32. My busy father was home the whole day yesterday! (He always travels for work).
33. My favourite aunt visited us yesterday.
34. Finally found my favourite pen.
35. I know I am happy like Antonio in Merchant of Venice. Feel happy but don't know why. Just happy!
36. Uncle promised to teach me how to ride a bicycle.
37. Used to dislike English lessons. But now, I like to write.!
38. Had a beautiful dream last night.
39. My birthday is round the corner.
40. Am 14 years old! (Imagine that! 14 years old!)
41. I love my younger brother.
42. Dad sad he would take mom and me to Canada this year. I'm eager to see snow.
43. Mom said I could keep hamsters. We're going shopping this week for them.
44. Just got a new mattress. So comfy!
45. Dad gave me a sip of his red wine. Feel like a real man now!
46. 1st April round the corner. Plenty of tricks in my sleeves.
47. The moon was so round and lovely last night.
48. Jay said I was childish. The person who said others are childish is childish himself. Argh! Who cares. Be happy!
49. Look forward to Teachers' Day concert. Look foward to the teachers' dancing on stage.
50. Our school is so big and new!
51. Lucky to have aircon in the classrooms.
52. I'm studying hard. Must make the most of my school fees. Make dad and mum proud of me.
53. Glad the school's going to introduce Home Economics. We boys are going to wear aprons! Hee! Hee!
54. My dad is my role model.
55. I'm so lucky!
56. I can see.
57. I can hear.
58. I can talk!
59. I can eat.
60. I'm nicely rounded. (Slim guys don't look so macho).
61. I love to watch soccer games on TV.
62. Dad bought me a new lap top!
63. My parents made peace. (So afraid they'd divorce).
64. My maid's curry chicken - best in the world!
65. Mum baked my birthday cake last week.
66. Grandpa bought me a guitar for my birthday. (Now he knows all play and no music makes David a dull boy).
67. Got 80% for art! My first time!
68. Nice weather these few days.
69. I came in first for swimming during practice.
70. Taking up tennis soon. (Hope I'll be good at it.)
71. I overslept and daddy took me to school this morning instead of the bus!
72. My health is improving.
73. Enjoyed singing in my church choir.
74. Now the boys no longer call me sissy. Doing more gym work to build up my muscles.
75. I finished reading the library book I borrowed. First time!
76. Got a total of $1,396/- ang pow this year!
77. I helped a blind man into the mrt yesterday. Felt good!
78. I think I'm a good prefect.
79. My parents decided not to migrate. I prefer here.
80. I shortened my pants on my own!
81. A dog chased after me yesterday. But I ran faster than the dog. The stupid dog
didn't know I'm the school's fast runner. Ho! Ho! Ho!
82. I just feel contented. Let others be the top students. I just do my best.
83. Teacher said my piano playing has improved.
84. Mum bought me a nice windbreaker for my trip to New Zealand.
85. My parents and I will join the school tour to Israel, Turkey and Egypt.
86. I love to eat like Garfield.
87. I'm as lazy and as mischievous as Garfield yet my parents love me!
88. Going to hang around with my friends at Orchard this weekend.
89. I love Fridays!
90. Sundays are even better. Dad often cooks for us on Sundays.
91. Uncle said I'm not handsome but charming! (Will I make more girls fall for me?)
92. ACS boys have the gift of the gab and I'm one of them. :-)
93. I shared my food with my classmate. He forgot to bring his wallet.
94. My friend told me a joke last night. So funny!
95. Secondary life is short. Only 4 years. So I better be happy and get the most out of it!
96. Helped my mom to peel onions yesterday. Now I appreciate mom's housework. Not easy!
97. I found a wallet. It had some 100 dollars and some cards. Brought it to the police station. Dad said he's proud of me.
98. I love my family!
99. I love my comfortable bed.
100. My pimples are now cleared. Mom gave me some good cream.
101. Strangely, I feel even happier now after my 100 reasons!

No comments: