Monday, March 17, 2008

Much Ado About Sharp Noses and Tongues!

Aha! My readers must be thinking that I am referring to the lovely and sharp noses often found on the faces of Caucasians and Indians. I am referring more to the acute sense of smell in all noses, sharp or flat, well defined or rounded.

I am also not referring to people with sharp tongues which imply acidity in speech. I am referring to the acute sense of taste.! Got you!

Yesterday, as we were arriving Somerset MRT station, I told my friend that it was raining heavily. She stared at me and said, "Choo, you think you're a doggy ah! The weather was fine when we left Changi Airport.!"

"Alice, wanna bet.? Buy you lunch!" I replied.

My confidence shook Alice somewhat and she mumbled, "May...be you're right."

When we came out of the station, we were greeted by pouring rain. My friend marvelled at my acute sense of smell.! I was always the first to smell some leaking gas. I guess, God must have compensated my less than sharp hearing with acute sense of smell and taste. This is the reason why I often find food cooked in restaurants somewhat too salty and spicy for me. This is also why I abstain from meat like beef, mutton, lamb and duck. I take minimal amount of pork and chicken. Due my acute sense of smell, no amount of herbs can envelope the smell exuding from these meat. Even when I cook fish, I have to use lots of garlic and ginger to disguise the smell. I enjoy inhaling the aroma from Starbucks and Coffee Club although I hardly patronise these up-market cafes. I enjoy inhaling the aroma from the various Indian restaurants around my apartment, although I have never once entered the restaurants as I do not particularly take to Indian cuisine.

Ah the blessings of sharp sense of smell and taste! Wait a minute! Who has just let out some German gas!? Argh! I feel like I've been hit by a tsunami! Well, I guess we can't have everything wonderful in life! We have to take everything in our stride, and enjoy the salt as well as the sugar and spice of life!

C'est la vie! :-)

Gan Chau

No comments: