Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Much Ado About Quarters and Measurement!

Since young, I had never taken a fancy to numbers. Hence, Arithmetics and Mathematics scared the daylights out of me. I did not pass a single Maths test in Secondary School.! Till now, at four years past half a century, I still have this recurring nightmare - I had a Maths test the following day, and on the eve I still could not remember a single formula!

Nevertheless whatever Maths I had failed, I kind of made up for it in practical living! I was protective of papa's hard earned money. Hence whenever we went marketing, which was a daily affair, (we could not afford to buy groceries for the whole week), I was always alert. Once, I pointed out to the pork vendor that he had calculated the total wrongly. Mum was shortchanged by $1.30. He apologised and praised me for my being clever at Arithmetics!

Later on, I found that my mental maths became better and better, even as youngsters became more dependant on the calculator. By the time, the shopkeepers started pressing the keys on the calculator, I would tell them how much change to return to me. "Wow! You're so fast! How did you do it?" "Simple, my fat fingers are too clumsy on the little buttons. Easier to calculate in my head.!" I would smile to much amusement and laughter.

I love the word, "Quarter". Mum called me an ugly duckling, and I would say, "Mum, if I had a quarter of your beauty, I would be the happiest girl in the world!" She'd smile. Not too bad. At least her ugly duckling brought her some joy. Many people were puzzled by the extreme beauty between my second sister and me. She is the beauty. I am the fat duckling in the family, but a happy duckling! When a child received so much love from her father and siblings, she would be the happiest child in the world! I somehow knew that beneath mum's constant nagging and murmuring, she loved me too.

The word, "quarter" suggests contentment. We say," If I could play the violin with just a quarter of your skilfulness, I'd be contented. If I could have a quarter of your muscles I'd be joyful. If my son had half of your brains, I'll thank God,...and so on."

One morning, just as I entered my office, my boss, Dr. Dennis Wee, in his usual cheerful fashion hollered, "Choo, you're now a millionaire!"

"Not quite, Dr. Wee, just a quarter aire! But a happy quarter aire!"

Dr. Wee burst out laughing and repeated, "A quarter aire. A quarter aire." Dr. Wee must have found these words quite cute. Yet, beneath these cute words, implies a lot of contentment! When we have a quarter, we at least have something. Let us remember the man who had said, "I complained I had no shoes, until I saw someone with no feet!"

Cheers! May all the quarter aires in Singapore be as happy and as contented as I am.! :-)

Gan Chau

No comments: