Wednesday, March 05, 2008

The Importance of Language in Advertisements

I have always shared how important it is that advertisements must be attractive and worth the viewers' and readers' time. When you are watching an interesting program it is quite irritating when advertisements appear. It is even more annoying when the advertisements are done in bad taste. Now with the use of mobiles, we get junk ads coming in. Sometimes you are in a hurry and a message beeps on your mobile! It is troublesome reading an unwanted ad. It is even more irksome receiving an ad that makes you feel worse than you are already feeling!!

Yesterday morning, I received one such advertisement which read as follows :- "Overhaul your body for $50. Top up $18 to renovate your dusty face. Call Scent Discovery at 62565288 to book your massage/face spa. End 30 March 2008....reply x to unsubscribe."

Being mischievous, I decided to reply, "Please use appropriate description. Your language stinks even as clients may discover that your Scent is most fragrant!"

Later, I decided not just to be an armchair critic, but to give constructive criticism. I smsed again, "May I suggest that you say, "Rejuvenate your body at only $50/-! Add $18/- for a more radiant facial complexion! Promo ends on 30/8/08. Don't miss! Hurry!"

Amazing how the company must have sent thousands of sms to everyone in the island. Since the sms is of such a massive scale, shouldn't the company get someone to improve on the wordings?
The company could have spent thousands of dollars on renovating the premises, yet it is so careless in its sms advertsiements which could turn off potential clients.

Though I may sound somewhat harsh, I hope my rewording of the advertisment will help the company. When they read this article, my siblings will chide me again, "There you go again, kaypo Choo." :-)

Gan Chau

No comments: