Friday, March 21, 2008

Happy, Happier, Happiest!

I smiled when I read the article, "Hunt for the Happiest Person in Singapore". A big smiley face smiled back at me from the article. I couldn't resist laughing when I read that the person in charge of searching for the happiest person in Singapore is a Mr. Philip Merry, CEO and Founder of Global Leadership Academy. What a sheer coincidence that his surname, Merry, makes him the most appropriate choice!

I smiled even more as I thought, "Mm...Given my looks and stature that looks like a jolly Santa Claus, I would never have the chance of winning a Miss Singapore contest! But I just might be able to win the "Happiest Person in Singapore contest"! The lady sitting opposite my table at the coffeeshop smiled and said in Hokkien, "You look so happy! Did you just strike 4D?"

I flashed her the article with the yellow smiley face. No, they are looking for the happiest person in Singapore!

"Xiao ah.!" (Crazy ah!) How to be happy? Everything so expensive in Singapore! Life is getting harder lah!"

"Aunty! We're still so much better off than so many of our neighbouring countries.
Life is good!" I said, much to her consternation.

I thought of how the moment I landed at the bus station in Penang, my second brother greeted me with a strange question, "Sis, are you happy!?"

"Of course, koko, (brother) I have ten thousand reasons not to be unhappy!" Brother had asked me this question because he had read that Singaporeans are the unhappiest people in South East Asia!"

Wait a minute. I am a very happy person, and I am contented to be this way. Would I dare say that I am the happiest person in Singapore.? What would Mr. Merry use to measure or can happiness be really measured? I was taught in primary school, "happy, happier, happiest!" In Primary Five, I made my English teacher somewhat annoyed when I asked her how she would measure or weigh happiness. If we say someone is the richest man in the world, we could count his worth in money and assets. But happiness?

Anyway, I am glad that readers have been telling me that they get uplifted every time they read my articles. I have to thank papa for inheriting his genes of optimism and contentment. The researchers at Scotland's Edinburgh University have found that genes affected happiness levels by up to 50 per cent. Like papa, I find joy in simple things even when walking in the rain or hot sun. We are both hopeless optimists. Every morning, I wake up and thank God for at least ten things. Count our blessings and name them one by one!

My best friend, Amu, once told me that if she had gone through the hell that I went through at one phase of my life, she might have committed suicide.! I told Amu that it did not mean I must only be happy when things are going well for me. I still believe that all things happen for good to those who believe in the Lord. It is God's blessings and approval I covet, not man's opinion, for man's praises do not send me to heaven; man's condemnation and criticisms do not send me to hell either. In brief, I would never allow anyone to rob me of my joy.!

At my toastmasters' speechcraft in Changi Prison, I always encourage the inmates to be positive and to make the most of their stay in prison, by reading and writing. I shared with them how once I ended up, stuck in the chairlift in Banff, Canada, and dangling for a couple of hours, braving the strong wind as the wintry weather became colder. I thought it was not often that one had a chance to be high up in the mountain with a bird's eye view of the wonderful scenery. (In Singapore we have to pay $29.90 to have a bird's eye view!) My professor and classmate who were with me on the same chair lift were somewhat annoyed with my optimism! I knew somehow that God would not let us perish and help would arrive shortly. Indeed help arrived on time. I almost died from hypothermia! But I guess God wanted me to live long enough...... to write this essay on happiness!

Mr. Merry had mentioned that everyone searches for happiness - be it in success in career, in relationships, or in life. To me happiness is not conditional. For if it is conditional, then, why are most of the millionaires still unhappy? Why would some of the successful and rich movie stars kill themselves? Ponder over what the late Howard Hughes had said, "If I could turn the clock back, why, I would be happier when I was a shoe-shine boy".

Happiness is being contented with whatever state we find ourselves in. For eg. in the MRT, instead of complaining how crowded the train is, I enjoy observing the commuters around me. I was tickled pink when some commuters vacated their seats for me when they saw the "Area Governor" toastmasters' badge on my outfit.! They must be thinking I am some kind of important governor!! When I go to my clients' luxurious homes, I enjoy myself. When I market some of my clients' humble hdb homes, I also enjoy myself. Like papa, I am at home with royalty as I am with prisoners and gangsters.

At home, I enjoy the peace and quiet, and being single, the freedom to do whatever I like - playing the piano and violin, reading, learning Tamil and Hindhi, writing, watching the TV, cooking, watering my plants, etc. Though living alone, I have never felt lonely in my life. There are so many interesting things to do and think about. I want to give bouquets to others while they are still alive, not when they are six feet under. I always remind my friends to come to my funeral, dressed in pink and purple or lovely pastel colours, for to us Christians, death is a celebration.

Some people say, "I would be happy if I were married; if I strike the lottery; if I were promoted, etc. "We are so obsessed with the future that we forget to enjoy the present! It is like some Canadians who worry so much about the forthcoming winter, that they forget to enjoy the golden splendour of Autumn.

Hence, Singaporeans, be happy. Stop complaining and whining about your neighbours' fault. Enjoy the great infrastructure in our little nation, and remember that our government is also made up of people who are not perfect. Do not compare yourself with others, but be at peace and at ease with yourself. Above all, be grateful to God and man. My papa had always taught us that gratitude will put us in the right perspective of things and a grateful person is always a happy person. He also taught us that whatever is worth doing, is worth doing well. That includes sweeping the floor and working for our bosses. Let us all make the most of our precious lives on earth.

Cheers to happiness! Be happy! It's the only way to keep our medisave funds intact! :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great article - should have had you talk to the press. This is Philip Merry - the orginator of the search - and i love the way you write. my original idea for this whole search was to get singaporeans talking about happiness and your blog is perfect - philip www.simply-happy.com

The Oriental Express said...

Hi Mr. Merry! Danke, Merci. Spasiba. Kamsiah. Xie xie. Mu koi. Terima kasih. Kam sa ham ni da. Arigato go zai maz. Nandrei.
Dhanyabad. Shukria. Grzie. In brief, a million thanks!

I had also sent you my article as I wanted to share my views on happiness. Am contented to be happy every day and be at ease and at peace with myself.

Thanks for being so concerned about our well being. May you be successful in your search and I look forward to learning from the "Happiest person in Singapore!"
So wonderful to be able to learn new things every day, and our toastmasters' clubs provide the opportunity to learn and grow.

Thanks for accepting us Singaporeans with our quirkiness, idiosyncracies and .....uniqueness.!

May God bless you and family.