Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Yours Truly, Uniquely Singapore (16)

There I was at Changi Airport, eagerly awaiting the arrival of my university buddy, Clara.
I was as usual, quite proud of our army officers patrolling around the airport, this time in greater number because of the escape of Mas Selamat.

Just then, I caught sight of Clara. It had been almost two decades since we last saw each other. Clara is as slim and as agile as ever. Just then, I received an sms in my mobile phone. It was the photo of Mas Selamat, sent by the police.

"Wow! Your boyfriend is so handsome!", Clara remarked.

Momentarily I was dumbfounded. "No, Clara, he's not my boyfriend. He's Singapore's most wanted man!", I explained when I gathered my composure. I could not help laughing. I did not blame Clara for jumping to conclusion.

I went on to narrate Mas Selamat's getaway from detention. Clara was impressed with the authorities' determination to track down the limping convict.

Clara even sent an sms of Mas Selamat to her parents. telling them to inform the Singapore police if they were to see Mas Selamat in their hometown in Edmonton!! A little far-fetched?
Well, we never know.....

Gan Chau

No comments: