Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Complexities of the English Language!

It is interesting how words or the popular use of words seem to be often changing.

Years ago, we said that someone had won the 2nd or 3rd prize, but now we call it the first runner-up and the second runner-up to denote the same positions. The words "first runner-up" give the feeling that the contestant has done his best and has run up to the 2nd position, almost achieving the 1st. Hence if the champion could not compete, the 1st runner-up will have to take over his position.

Years ago, we used to call someone who did paper work a clerk. But today it is replaced with administrative assistant.

Years ago, we used to call someone who managed or ran the operations of a company a
manager, but today he is known by different names, depending on his responsibilities and seniority, eg. General Manager and Chief Exective Officer.

So many toastmasters like to use the word "impactful" when it should be full of impact. I do not blame toastmasters for coining this word because if a person is full of gratitude he is grateful. Hence, if something is full of impact, why can't it be impactful? Well, may be one day in future, the word "impactful" will be shown in the dictionary due to popular usage?

And can I blame a young child if he said, "My mom is a good cooker." Linguistically, he is sound, for if a person who teaches is a teacher, and a person who writes is a writer, why can't the person who cooks be called a cooker?

Years ago, I remember the word, "Malaysianisation" was coined to imply the making of modern Malaysia. I became even more thrilled with the English Language when I realised we could form new words.! "Malaysianisation" as in civilisation. Hence the making of ultra modern Singapore can be known as Singaporeanisation?

I remember one of my classmates in the University of Alberta was indignant when she declared, "Why can't people use better words to describe us who are from Hong Kong?
Some call us Hong Kongese, just because there is the word Chinese. Makes us sound like some kind of geese! Just because there is Russian, Malaysian, some call us Hong Kongan! Since there are words like farmer and teller, some people call us Hong Konger! Or some will call us Hong Kongian as in Hungarian!

"Mary, what would you like to be called then?" After a long pause, Mary said,
"Maybe a resident of Hong Kong!"

"Perhaps we should have a contest to coin a word or words to describe the people of Hong Kong?"

People often say that the older a man grows, the more he likes to talk so that friends and relatives find him too long winded or what in Hokkien is called "Tng kui" or in Mandarin, "Chang chi". (Long breath). But for me, as I grow older, I like to talk less but write and reflect more. Nothing makes me happier than to pen my thoughts on the computer. The only time I like to talk is when I present my speeches or conduct a workshop in toastmasters' clubs or when I have to talk to clients who are keen to rent or buy properties. This is probably why our CEO, Dr. Dennis Wee, was very surprised when he heard I had won the championship for my first humorous speech contest at Area U3.

But whether I speak or write, I was thrilled, and am thrilled and will still be thrilled with the most widely spoken language in the world!

Gan Chau

No comments: