Thursday, October 02, 2008

Meaningful Volunteerism

 

Some of our speechcraft volunteers - from left... Professor Saw Cheng Lim, Sim Kim Poh,
Linda Lam, Elizabeth Thorarajoo, Dennis Kwan, Ruby Lai, and yours truly.

It was one of those unusual Saturdays when some of us could gather together spontaneously for lunch. Usually after the speechcraft sessions at Changi Prison, most of us would make our way back to our various activities. Some, like Shillina, Professor Saw and myself have to get back to work, while others will return home to spend time with the family. Some Saturdays could be hectic because of speech contests and club chapter meetings in the afternoon.

Recently Mike Rodrigues, our leader and pioneer of Speechcraft at Changi Prison returned me twenty notebooks which I had intended to give to the inmates as a small Christmas gift. However, the books were not allowed by the authorities, and since I did not drive, I had asked Mike to keep them for me. Hence, I recycled the notebooks as presents, and had to tear away the first page because I had written down the inmates' names and words of greetings.

However in one of the books, someone had written down his thoughts which read as follows:-

"Today is our graduation day of our speech craft course. I'm particularly touched today
by the kindness, dedication and passion of the volunteers, especially after finding out
that these people came out of their own free will, spending their precious time, trying to
impart some skills and lessons of life to us. Some live far away from Changi Prison and have to wake up at about 6a.m. every Saturday so as to reach here on time for the speech craft sessions.

The volunteers saw the good in us despite all our flaws. This is an experience that I'll never forget. They showed me that no matter how screwed up I am, as long as I'm willing to
change, they will always be ready to help and support."

Yes, this is what papa meant when he said that people should always be given second chances in life. Yet there are some people who act as if they were perfect like God Himself, so quick are they in their judgement and condemnation of others.

Who does not want to do well in life? Who does not want to have great, supportive parents and wonderful siblings? If I do well because I come from a good family, what right does it give me to deride others who commit crimes because of poor parental upbringing and broken homes?

When the inmates share their life experiences in their speeches, we learn of the pain of history repeating itself. Drug addicted fathers who even introduced their young sons to drugs! Gambling addicted mothers who left their children running wild because of their obssession with cards.

Through speech craft, while helping the inmates to become more confident in their interviews and social interaction when they leave prison, we also hope to inspire them to be better people. Words have power to change lives, and when the inmates begin to think more positively, they will be more encouraged to want to overcome their weaknesses and to achieve better improvement in their lives. As a man thinks, so will he be.

Yet, it was while they were in prison that some hard-core addicts and criminals were transformed by the power of God and became great evangelists and pastors. If God Himself had not given up hope on these inmates, why should anyone of us? Papa had always believed that so long as a man is still alive, there is hope.....

Interestingly all of the volunteers can testify that even as they give, they receive even more abundantly. We go back after every speechcraft, spiritually and emotionally recharged and mentally enlightened as we learn from one another. We are constantly reminded of the fraility and in sharp contrast, the awesomeness of the human minds.

Just two Saturdays ago, my client wanted to have a second viewing of the apartment with his wife in the morning. I told him it was not possible as I had speechcraft in Changi Prison and a Humorous Speech and Evaluation Contest at SMU in the afternoon. If he did not mind, the helpful and reliable co-broking agent from ERA, Joseph, could show them the unit. Just after I came out of Changi Prison, I received an sms from my client for he wanted to make an offer. I suggested that we could meet in the evening to do the necessary paper work after his offer was accepted by the owner.

My client shared with me that he was impressed with my dedication and commitment, and he could surely trust someone who put her volunteerism above her work.!

I wish the Yellow Ribbon Project great success. Their success will be even more greatly enhanced if everyone believes in second chances. If any toastmaster in Singapore would like to join us as a volunteer, please contact Michael Rodrigues at mikejrod@singnet.com.sg or yours truly at kambobobo777@yahoo.com

Cheers and happy volunteering!

Gan Chau
Posted by Picasa

No comments: