Sunday, October 12, 2008

Sometimes It Pays to Be Fat and Bulky!

In my haste, I had slipped down on the granite floor of my living room. There was a slight sprain on my right leg. Undaunted, I proceeded to rush as I had to be at the HDB Hub by 8.30a.m. for my clients' first appointment.

As the mrt arrived, the passengers slowly moved in. The usual self-centredness of commuters.! If so many had come out of the train, why would it be so crowded at the entrance? I was the last to enter just as the doors were about to close. I refused to be left out and made my way in and just as the doors closed on me. Some lady passengers opened their mouths in shocked dismay, but I was cool and calm. Now you understand why some of my mischievous students in ACS (Independent) used to call me Miss Ka(l)m?

The doors retreated and remained in the same position for quite some time. Then they closed again. Realising how stressed people are in this country, I thought I would help them relax and laugh a little.

In my toastmasters' loud voice I said, "No worries. Sometimes it pays to be fat and bulky! Even mrt doors are terrified of me!" I could hear some laughter and saw some commuters grinning from ear to ear.!

I shared with my Indian tenants. Avinesh's wife, Anul, is quite petite and slim, and I said to her, "If it had been you Anul, why, the mrt doors might have squeezed you into a lovely papadam!" (Indian crackers made from flour which could be plain or added with spice and herbs).

Gan Chau

No comments: