Monday, October 20, 2008

Dogs Love Music Too!



Anul's beloved American Spitz, Taffy. He dances when he hears music.

In the lovely home of the Loh Family in Melbourne. From left to right. Jean with her lovely cat, yours truly with Robbie and my sister, Ean Ean

 

Bobby, Irin's beloved Shi Tzu.




I love dogs but that does not make me an authority or walking encylcopaedia on everything that pertains to dogs. Nevertheless, I realise that perhaps dogs are able to enjoy music too. I hope these four little stories will convince my readers to some extent.

My friends in Melbourne used to have a dog called Robbie, a shetland sheep dog. Robbie was greatly loved by the Loh family because he was docile, affectionate and gentle. He enjoyed music and disliked it when someone did not play the piano beautifully. One of his owners, Mei, would sometimes tinkle on the grand piano and Robbie would bark at her, displaying his displeasure at such awful and harsh sounds. However, when my sister Ean Ean visited the family and played the piano, he would listen quietly and contentedly. He would also listen happily when Mei's brother, Kong, played some catchy songs on the piano.

When my nephew, Daniel, shared his interest to buy a second hand saxophone from Pastor Samuel Sia, I encouraged him in his zeal to learn a wind instrument. I could still remember the first time when Daniel blew his saxophone, all my three dogs, Kamlette, Kambobo and Kam Xiaobai fled for their lives. They would always move away whenever Daniel started to blow his saxophone. Recently when I visited Daniel in Kuala Lumpur, I was moved when I saw how much he had improved in his saxophone. Daniel played, "Sweet Bye and Bye" - a hymn that is popularly played at funeral wakes. Daniel shared that when he played the hymn at one funeral, his touching rendition caused the mourners to weep even more! I am very sure that if my dogs were still alive and had the chance to hear Daniel play his saxophone, they would not run away this time.

Just a few days ago, I brought my neighbour's dog, Bobby, a Shi Tzu, to my flat while his mistress, Irin, went out for dinner. I played my violin, and noticed that Bobby kept looking up at me and hardly moved from his position. He seemed to be enjoying the music!

My tenant, Anul shared with me how Taffy, her beloved American spitz would dance whenever he heard fast, catchy music. Once when Anul and her friends were dancing at her home, Taffy also joined them, much to the amusement of her friends. I have not seen Taffy yet. I am sure when I see Taffy, I will give him a big hug for he is just like me.....someone who can't keep still when there is music in the air!

If my readers have any anecdote to share with me about dogs that love music, I would be glad to hear from you. Wow! Dogs would make great musicians as they have such acute hearing!

Life is certainly more colorful with music and dogs around!

Gan Chau

1 comment:

The Oriental Express said...

Hi Choo Choo, Yes, I fully agree with you that dogs love music...... although I think just like people not ALL dogs love music. Unlike Fifi (my former dog) , Pape , the Pappilion , gains my attention whenever I play the piano by first licking my toes, then when I take no notice, he stands on his hind legs and hits me with his front paw. When I carry him and place him on my lap, he puts his paws on my hands while I continue to practise. Ofcourse this makes it very difficult for me to read the music and play the piano. His sharp nails also dig into my arms as he tries to balance himself . Sometimes he puts his paws on the keys and holds them there while I`m trying desperately to play Bethoven`s ` Pathetique Sonata. ` ............... striking discords and unmusical inharmonious notes. He doesn`t bark or make any noise but loves to just listen .... not passively like a member of the audience but he feels he has to get involved as well. I don`t dare take him to a recital or concert ( if this is allowed) as he might want to sit on the lap of the pianist or violinist.!!!!!!!!!



`The man that hath no music in himself, Nor is not moved with concord of sweet sounds,Is fit for treasons, stratagems and spoils..` Shakespeare `Merchant of Venice` Regards, Clive