Saturday, October 18, 2008

Eavesdropping!

It was one of those rare Sunday mornings when I did not have to go to church because I had gone on Saturday. Not wanting to disturb my tenants, I went to the Tekka Market/cum food centre to take my breakfast, where I could also read my papers and enjoy a cup of kopi-o. I shared a table with a lady and a younger girl.

I was drawn to the intense conversation that was being carried on. Like busybody writer Catherine Lim, I eavesdropped! I noticed that the young lady was rattling off like a bullet train and thought she would certainly make a good toastmaster! She would be able to learn to speak slower and listen more attentively to the older lady who had to now and then remind her to listen to her. Both sometimes switched to Mandarin and Hokkien. I was amused by the older lady's somewhat philosophical advice whenever the young lady made a complaint. I concluded she could be the aunt.

While the older lady realised that I was listening on to their animated conversation, the younger lady was totally oblivious as she had her back partially turned to me. She was also so intense in what she was saying.

Later on, I took the opportunity to ask the younger girl if she was a boy or girl as I really could not distinguish, given her boyish hairstyle and yet even more boyish mannerism. However, I knew she must be a girl, as her voice was quite sweet. She suddenly turned around and slightly raised her eyebrows, while the older lady laughed as she proudly declared, "I'm her mom, not her aunty!"

"Wow, you both are so close and that's wonderful. Chatting away like friends....I like that!"

Later I asked the younger lady for her name and found out that she is a student at the SMU (Singapore Management University) and I quickly took the opportunity to tell her about the wonderful students I had met at the SMU Toastmasters' Club. I encouraged her to join the Toastmasters' Club.

I always love to leave words of encouragement to everyone I meet. I assured her mom that her daughter, Adeline Tan, is fine for she struck me like a sensible and clever girl. I shared that Adeline will gradually transform as she grows older. In fact, the first student from my class in Convent Green Lane, to get hitched was a tomboy called Junie Tan. Junie gradually discarded her tomboyish mannerism and became a loving and protective wife and mother! Hence Adeline's mother does not have to worry about her!

I regretted for not having my digital camera with me and hence did not take any photo. Hence I was delighted when I saw Adeline's blog when she looked into my website. If you would like to see what Adeline looks like, please log into her interesting blog, http://adel.tumblr.com and you will discover her vivaciousness.
Adeline's blog will also give readers an insight into life at her university.


All the best to the lovely youngsters in our small but great nation! Do your best for you are the leaders of tomorrow!

Gan Chau

No comments: