Tuesday, January 06, 2009

A Legacy

Someone from Phillipines wrote about how she found her father's scrapbook on the late President Kennedy. The scrapbook made her feel very close to her late father, and she found out much about him through his collection.

I had done photo scrapbooks in the past. I would paste the photos and write interesting captions beneath each photo. However, I found out that after some years, the photos gradually started to fade.

Hence, now I have pasted photos in my blog....they will never fade. It was my lawyer friend, Yeow Choo, who encouraged me to start my blog as she enjoyed reading my letters which often made her laugh. "Choo, start a blog so that your writing can bless more people." My nieces, Yann and Tyng often lament that their somewhat reticent father, seldom shared with them about his younger days. Hence, when I started my blog, they enjoyed reading and finding out more about their grandparents and relatives. Since 15th November 2005, I have been faithfully writing almost everyday. Today I have 952 articles. I always tell my relatives that I will not be able to leave behind millions of dollars; but I will be able to leave behind millions of words. Words, and only words I know.....

I am glad that when I go six feet under, my grand nieces and nephews and their children will be able to read my articles. This will be my legacy to them, albeit a humble one. But it would be a priceless one....because like the TV serial, The Little Nonya, they will be able to learn what had happened in the past. My relatives will be able to know that their great grandmother was an excellent Nonya cook and so were their great grand aunties. They will also learn that their great grandpa was an avid story teller and a great gentleman who played more than 20 musical instruments, self taught.

Hence, my dear readers....I hope that you too will be able to start your own blog. You may think there is nothing much to write about....but once you sit down before the computer, ideas will flow!

We may not be rich, but all of us can leave behind this legacy of words if we are determined and disciplined.

Gan Chau

1 comment:

The Oriental Express said...

Heard there'll be a sequel..... I never have the luxury to sit down to watch TV but for the month of Dec, I make it a point to glue to the tv for an hour or two everyday, such big effort on my part.

Jeanelle

--